Drug Interaction Facts is the fastest and most accurate interaction screening tool available. Potential interactions can be reviewed by class, generic drug, or trade name. Comprehensive information on drug/drug or drug/food interactions is provided in a unique and lo gical quick reference format to enhance the speed and accuracy of therapeutic decision making.
The onset, severity, and documentation of clinically significant interactions are given; their effects, mechanism, and management also are reviewed. A discussion and assessment of the data used to document the interaction are provided.
- More than 1,300 detailed monographs covering 20,000 brand and generic drugs
- 70+ therapeutic classes
- Comprehensive index with significance ratings
- Drug/drug and drug/food interactions
- Generic dru names and drug class names (includes sample trade names
- One-page monographs simplify searching
- Written by a panel of pharmacists, pharmacologists, and physicians
- Thousands of articles reviewed
63 new monographs including:
- Anticoagulants with Ginkgo Biloba
- Buspirone with Food
- Sumatriptan with Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors
About the Author
Table of Contents
- Publisher's Preface.....ix
- How to Use.....xi
- Principles of Drug Interactions.....xvii
- Drug Interaction Monographs.....1-1326
- How to Use.....xi
The Data: Drug Interaction Facts is based on the most current published biomedical information and has been critically evaluated to ensure the accuracy and proper interpretation of the data. The Editorial Group places a strong emphasis on establishing the clinical relevance of the data to make its practical utility a priority. This information is intended to supplement the knowledge of health care professionals regarding drug interactions; it is advisory only and is not intended to replace sound clinical judgment or individualized patient care.
Practical Utility: In the ongoing development of this publication, we place an emphasis on the presentation of the data to enhance therapeutic decision making. For your convenience, the index includes the significance rating for each interaction next to each entry. In addition, each individual monograph is designed to represent a logical progression of information allowing the practitioner easy review of the desired information.
1. A significance rating provides a relative ranking of the interaction.
2. The significance of the interaction is divided into three categories:
- Onset - Severity - Documentation
3. The interaction is then summarized into its practical components:
- Effects - what will happen
- Mechanism - why it will happen
- Management - how to prevent or manage the effects of the interaction
4. Detail is provided in the discussion concerning the available data and how assessments were made.
5. References are provided for in-depth research, if desired.
Up-to-date: The medical literature is continually monitored to identify significant new drug interaction information. The loose-leaf format of Drug Interaction Facts with quarterly supplements assures the user that the information remains up-to-date. Also available, and updated quarterly, is the Drug Interaction Facts on Disk program. This electronic version contains every monograph found in the book, but allows you to enter up to 20 drugs at a time to check for multiple interactions more efficiently. Drug Interaction Facts is also available in a soft-cover bound version that is updated annually. Drug Interaction Facts has been designed to meet your needs. Your comments and suggestions, as always, are encouraged.
Steven K. Hebel, RPh
Facts and Comparisons