Early Diagnosis and Treatment of Cancer Series: Head and Neck Cancers: Expert Consult - Online and Print available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Health Sciences
Each volume in the Early Detection and Treatment of Cancer Series is packed with practical, authoritative information designed to cover the full range of diagnostic procedures, including pathologic, radiologic, bronchoscopic, and surgical aspects. You’ll be able to determine the safest, shortest, least invasive way to reach an accurate diagnosis; stage the disease; and choose the best initial treatment for early stages. Based on current evidence in the literature, authors provide clinical, hands-on tools to help you make informed decisions on precisely what tests and imaging studies are needed to diagnose and stage each type of cancer. Practical, authoritative, and highly-illustrated, this volume in the brand new Early Detection and Treatment of Cancer series covers current protocols and the latest advances in diagnostic imaging and molecular and serologic markers for head and neck cancers. Apply expert advice on the best “next-step” plan for different presentations and tips for less invasive protocols. Get clinical, hands-on tools to help you make informed decisions on precisely what tests and imaging studies are needed for accurate diagnosis and staging. Clear figures, tables, and boxes illustrate step-by-step care of the full range of problems encountered. Better manage your patients with procedural video clips and more on the included CD-ROM. The small size and convenient format make this an ideal purchase for diagnostic reference.
• Outlines the steps after diagnosis to guide you through formulating a treatment or patient care plan.
• Emphasizes important pointssuch as the use of endoscopy in staging, chemoprevention, and promising gene therapieswith “key points” boxes at the beginning of each chapter and pedagogic features throughout.
• Summarizes the process of accurately diagnosing and staging cancer in a logical, almost algorithmic, approach for easy reference.
• Discusses the treatment of early-stage disease so you have clear options for care.
• Complements the procedures outlined in the text with full-color photographs and line drawings to reinforce your understanding of the material.
• Features a CD-ROM showing video clips of diagnostic procedures, as well as all of the images, tables, and drawings from the text to help you better manage your patients.
About the Author
Table of Contents
Series Preface vii
1 Molecular Gene Alterations as Early-Detection Markers Ian M. Smith Joseph A. Califano III Patrick K. Ha 1
2 Molecular Proteomics in Early Detection of Head and Neck Cancer J. Trad Wadsworth Richard R. Drake 19
3 Screening for Head and Neck Cancer: Health Services Perspective Britt C. Reid 31
4 Strategies for Oral Cancer Detection Joel B. Epstein James J. Sciubba 45
5 Early Radiographic Detection of Head and Neck Cancer: Positron Emission Tomography Heather A. Jacene 59
6 Chemoprevention of Head and Neck Cancer Kavita Malhotra Pattani 81
7 Early Treatment of the Larynx Edward M. Stafford Tarik Y. Farrag Ralph P. Tufano 95
8 Surgical Treatment of Early Oral Cavity and Oropharyngeal Cancers David Goldenberg Wayne M. Koch 115
9 Early Treatment with Radiation and Chemotherapy Boris Hristov Michael K. Gibson Gopal Bajaj 129
10 Head and Neck Cancer Prevention Oleg Militsakh Angela Chi Anthony Alberg Gabrielle Cannick Marvella Ford Matthew Carpenter Peter Miller Natalie Sutkowski Terry Day 167
11 Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy for Oral Cancer Francisco J. Civantos Robert Zitsch Anthony Bared 201
12 Solitary Thyroid Nodule Emad H. Kandil Martha A. Zeiger Ralph P. Tufano 223
13 Conclusion: Impediments to Finding and Using an Effective Tool in Early Detection Wayne M. Koch Rachel A. Koch 237