In the late 1800s, East Cleveland took root as a small trading post alongside a wagon trail that led from Buffalo, New York, to Cleveland, Ohio. This wagon trail, then known as the "Lakeshore Trail" forged by American Indians long gone, later became Euclid Avenue--"the showplace of America." In 1911, East Cleveland planted its municipal roots seven miles east of downtown Cleveland. New gas and waterlines, streetcars, and women's municipal suffrage greatly increased economic growth. With help from investor John D. Rockefeller, businesses such as the National Bindery Company, the Nickel Plate Railroad, and General Electric's Nela Park thrived in the city's favorable economic climate. East Cleveland's racial demographics diversified after several wars abroad, and the city later faced "white flight" during the 1950s and 1960s. Although fiscal emergencies shook the city's foundation throughout the 1970s to 1990s, East Cleveland has experienced a recent upsurge of urban renewal. Once home to "Millionaires' Row," it is now the perfect climate for urban farming, sustainable business practices, community education, and innovative civic engagement.