In the United States, one in five students has a learning or attention issue, such as
dyslexia and ADHD, and nearly 50 percent have been exposed to some sort of trauma.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) and award-winning author Ronnie Sidney, II
provides recommendations to help vulnerable students thrive in the classroom. With
over 70 pages of content, this guide equips educators with practical strategies to promote
positive student outcomes and increased emotional well-being. The Educator’s Guide to
the Nelson Beats the Odds Series is designed by Imagine That! Design.
This comprehensive educator’s guide also includes:
• Large workbook-style pages affording plenty of space to integrate the Nelson Beats the
Odds Series into your school’s curriculum and culture
• Effective and practical strategies for educators working with diverse students who
have learning disabilities, unresolved trauma, bullying tendencies, gang affiliation, and
• A special section dedicated to educator burnout and self-care
• Easy and engaging activities to help students improve literacy and critical thinking
• Multiple lists of books and resources to help educators further explore critical areas