Edwardsville, named for territorial governor Ninian Edwards, began life as a frontier fort and gateway to settlers. It became the seat of law and government of Madison County, which at that time encompassed much of the Illinois Territory. The town was incorporated shortly after Illinois became a state in 1818. In 1890, industrialist N. O. Nelson began a manufacturing complex and established the model town of Leclaire Village. Edwardsville grew rapidly through the late 1800s and early 1900s. Main Street became a bustling business district while elegant mansions were constructed on St. Louis Street. Take a nostalgic look at Edwardsville 100 years ago with a stroll down Main Street, a walk through City Park, or a glimpse of the weeklong Madison County Centennial festivities.
About the Author
Cheryl Eichar Jett, a freelance writer and historian, is a lifelong resident of Illinois. She is also the author of Alton. The vintage images in this book are drawn from private postcard collections and the holdings of the Madison County Historical Society.
Table of Contents
1 Main Street 9
2 Body and Spirit 21
3 Courthouses and Public Buildings 37
4 Going to School 51
5 Residential Streets 63
6 Banks, Business, and Industry 73
7 N. O. Nelson and Leclaire Village 89
8 Getting There 97
9 Living the Social Life 109
10 Parks, Monuments, and the Madison County Centennial 117