Effects of Fishing on Non-Target Species and Habitats: Biological, Conservation and Socio-economic Issues / Edition 1 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
Table of ContentsIntroduction.
PART 1: Distribution of Fishing Effort and PhysicalInteraction with the Seabed.
1. Spatial and temporal patterns in North Sea fishing effort (S.Jennings, K.J. Warr, S.P.R. Greenstreet and A.J. R. Cotter).
2. Physical impact of beam trawls on seabed sediments (R.Fonteyne).
3. Is bottom traw3ling partly responsible for the regression ofPosidonia oceanica meadows in the Mediterranean Sea (G.D.Ardizzone, P. Tucci, A. Somaschini and A. Belluscio).
PART 2: Effects of Fishing on Benthic Fauna andHabitats.
4. Fishing mortality of populations of megafauna in sandysediments (M.J.N. Bergman and J.W. van Santbrink).
5. Effects of otter trawling on the benthos and environment inmuddy sediments (B.Ball, B. Munday and I. Tuck).
6. The effects of scallop dredging on gravelly seabedcommunities (C. Bradsaw, L.O. Veale, A.S. Hill and A.R. Brand).
7. Impact of scallop dredging on maerl grounds (J.M.Hall-Spencer and P.G. Moore).
PART 3: Fishing As A Source of Energy Subsidies.
8. The behavioural response of benthic scavengers tootter-trawling disturbance in the Mediterranean (M. Demestre, P.Sanchez and M.J. Kaiser).
9. Food subsidies generated by the beam-trawl fisher in thesouthern North Sea (M. Fonds and S. Groenewold).
10. Impact of trawling on populations of the invertebratescavenger Asterias rubens (K. Ramsay, M.J. Kaiser, A.D. Rijnsdorp,J.A. Craeymeersch and J. Ellis).
11. Seabirds and commercial fisheries: population trends ofpiscivorous seabirds explained (C.J. Camphysen and S.Garthe).
PART 4: Long-Term Changes Associated with Fishing.
12. Distribution of macrofauna in relation to themicro-distribution of trawling effort (J.A. Craeymeersch, G.J.Piet, A.D. Rijnsdorp and J. Buijs).
13. Long-term changes in North Sea Benthos: Discerning the roleof fisheries (C.L. J. Frid and R.A. Clark).
14. Effects of fishing on non-target fish species (S.P.R.Greenstreet and S.I. Rogers).
15. Impacts of fishing on diversity: from pattern to process (S.Jennings and J.D. Reynolds).
PART 5: Conservation Methods, Issues and Implications forBiodiversity.
16. Technical modifications to reduce the by-catches and impactsof bottom-fishing gears (B.van Marlen).
17. Fishing and cetacean by-catches (N.J.C. Tregenza).
18. Effects of fishing on non-targeted species and habitats:identifying key nature conservation issues (M.L. Tasker, P.A.Knapman and D. Laffoley).
19. The need for closed areas as conservation tools (H.J.Lindeboom).
20. No-take zones: a management context (J.W.Horwood).
PART 6: Socio-Economic Implications and Mechanisms forReducing the Impacts of Fisheries.
21. Economic incentives to discard by-catch in unregulated andindividual transferable quotas fisheries (S. Pascoe).
22. Options for the reduction of by-catches of harbour porpoises(Phocoena phocoena) in the North Sea (J.M. McGlade and K.I.Metuzals).
23. Economic and sociocultural priorities for marineconservation (P.J. S. Jones).
24. Integrated management: the implications of an ecosystemapproach to fisheries management (D. Dymes).
PART 7: Workshop Conclusions.
25. The implications of the effects of fishing on non-targetedspecies and habitats (M.J. Kaiser).