China, Hong Kong and Taiwan as well as 300 film synopses. Great care has been taken to provide solid cultural and historical context to the facts. The alphabetical entries are preceded by a substantial historical section,
incorporating material on the the main studios and analysing the impact of Chinese film abroad as well as at home in recent years.
This Encyclopedia meets the needs, equally, of
* the film studies scholar
* the student of Chinese culture
* the specialist in Chinese film
* the curious viewer wanting to know more.
Additional features include:
* comprehensive cross-references and suggestions for further reading
* a list of relevant websites
* a chronology of films and a classified contents list
* three indexes
- (one of film and tv titles with directors names and year of release, one of names including actors, writers, directors and producers and one of studios, all with pinyin romanizations)
* a glossary of pinyin romanizations, Chinese characters and English equivalents to aid the specialist in moving between Chinese titles and English translations.
|Publisher:||Taylor & Francis|
|Product dimensions:||7.44(w) x 9.69(h) x 1.02(d)|
Table of Contents
Jackie Chan; Joan Chen; Kaige Chen; Leslie Cheung; Gong Li; Andy Lau; Ang Lee; Bruce Lee; Wong Kar-Wai; John Woo; Michelle Yeoh; Zhang Yimou; A Time to Live, A Time to Die; Chungking Express; Crows and Sparrows; Eat Drink Man Woman; Enter the Dragon; Farewell My Concubine; Hibiscus Town; Ju Dou; Raise the Red Lantern; Red Sorghum; Shanghai Triad; The Story of Qiuju; The True Story of Ah Q; The Wedding Banquet; To Live; Uproar in Heaven; Yellow Earth