Preface and Acknowledgments.
Introduction: What Happened to My Paycheck?
1. Miracles Cost Money.
2. Unsafe at Any Cost.
3. Who Really Pays for All of That Care?
4. If It Works or Might Work, You Owe It to Me: How Americans’ Entitlement to Care Drives Up Costs.
5. Care Monopolies.
6. Does the United States Pay Fair Prices by World Standards?
7. How the Internet Is Changing Health Care: I Learned About My Prosthesis on the Web.
8. The Coming Crunch in Health Care Workers.
9. Medical Necessity Calls, Fee Cuts, and PR Errors—Not a Good Start.
10. So Why Don’t We Just Go to a Single-Payer System and Save Bucks Like the Brits?
11. Where Do We Go from Here? A Call for a National Health Strategy.
12. Patients Deserve Safe Care.
13. 401(k) Equivalent Choices in Health Care.
14. Most Health Care Costs Are the Result of Bad Health.
15. Caregiver Monopolies Should Not Be Our Care Model of Choice.
16. Cut the Number of Uninsured in Half.
17. Training Tomorrow’s Caregivers and Reengineering Care Delivery.
18. A Call to Action.