The story of modern Española begins in 1790, about 100 years after the Pueblo Revolt, at the colonial settlement of Santa Cruz de la Cañada, the largest village in the Spanish Empire north of Chihuahua. At that time, the people of the region lived in tiny hamlets clustered around the hub of Santa Cruz. In 1848, following the Mexican American War, the U.S. government annexed New Mexico under the terms of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. Santa Cruz de la Cañada was now American territory, connected to a larger world by the Santa Fe Trail. New energy began to flow into the region. The arrival of the Chili Line railroad in 1880 created a corridor of commerce across the river from Santa Cruza portent of the Española to come.
About the Author
Camilla Trujillo descends from one of the first Spanish families that settled the Española Valley. She is a working potter, a pottery teacher, and a crafter of Native/Spanish traditional herbal remedies. The photographs that illustrate this bookwith few exceptionshave never before been published. They come from private collections and from the archives of Santa Cruz de la Cañada Parish, San Gabriel Historical Society, Palace of the Governors, Los Alamos Historical Museum, Los Alamos National Labs, McCurdy School, and Maxwell Museum of Anthropology.