The easy self-study guide to COM and ActiveX!
First edition published as: The Essence of OLE with ActiveX
"The Essence of OLE puts a training workshop in your hands, allowing you to explore and experiment with OLE and ActiveX in the context of modern development tools. David Platt teaches you to swim in the shallow end of the pool while always encouraging you to challenge yourself in deeper waters." -Kraig Brockschmidt, author of Inside OLE
"David Platt does for COM what Cliff Notes does for War and Peace. This book has the highest signal-to-noise ratio of any on the topic." -Jeff Prosise, author of Programming Windows with MFC
"This book really covers the essentials of COM programming in a succinct and easy-to-read style. I used what I learned in the marshaling section when creating the OLEACC.DLL that ships with Windows NT 5.0". -Jeffrey Richter, author of Advanced Windows
If you develop for Windows environments, you need an in-depth understanding of COM and ActiveX. With this convenient workbook, you'll learn COM and ActiveX in easy-to-digest, "bite-size" chunks. Through David Platt's masterfully-explained examples, you'll discover an internal elegance, clarity and consistency in COM and ActiveX that you never knew existed!
- Using Data Objects • Sourcing Data Objects • OLE Automation
- Type Libraries • ActiveX Controls • ActiveX Control Containers
- Structured Storage and Persistent Objects • Monikers • Custom Interfaces
- Distributed COM (DCOM) • ActiveX Controls on the Internet • ActiveX Scripting
- Threads and COM • Active Template Library • JAVA and COM
- Shell Extensions and COM•Self-RegisteringPrograms • ANSI/Unicode • Containment & Aggregation • Smart Pointers
Jumpstart your own applications with more than 16 MB of working COM, ActiveX and OLE sample code on CD-ROM! Just cut-and-paste directly into your own applications!
|Publisher:||Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group|
|Product dimensions:||8.34(w) x 10.85(h) x 1.82(d)|