Essential Cardiology provides a concise account of one of the most rapidly moving areas of clinical medicine, emphasising the basic pathophysiological principles that permit logical interpretation of clinical findings and investigations, and also provides a guide to the most appropriate treatment. This new edition covers all the major advances in cardiology of the last five years including: transoesophageal echocardiography; lipid management in coronary artery disease; the use of ACE inhibitors in the treatment of heart failure; interventional cardiology including the widespread use of coronary arterial stents; clinical trials and their impact on therapy.
Table of Contents
List of Abbreviations.
1. Symptoms and Signs of Heart Disease.
2. The Electrocardiogram and Arrhythmia Detection.
3. Cardiac Imaging and Catheterization.
4. Heart Failure.
5. Coronary Artery Disease.
6. Cardiomyopathy and Specific Heart-Muscle Disorders.
7. Pericardial Disease.
8. Rheumatic Fever and Infective Endocarditis.
9. Valvular Heart Disease.
10. Conduction Tissue Diease and Pacemakers.
11. Cardiac Arrhythmias.
13. Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection.
14. Pulmonary Embolism and Pulmonary Heart Disease.
15. Paediatric Cardiology.
16. Pregnancy, Systemic Disorders, Neoplastic Disease and the Heart.
17. Surgery and Heart Disease.