Essential Organic Chemistry / Edition 1 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Prentice Hall
- If you would like to purchase both the physical text and MasteringChemistry search for 032196747X / 9780321967473 Essential Organic Chemistry 3/e Plus MasteringChemistry with eText -- Access Card Package:
The access card package consists of:
- 0321937716 / 9780321937711 Essential Organic Chemistry 3/e
- 0133857972 / 9780133857979 MasteringChemistry with PearsonKey Benefits:
For one-term Courses in Organic Chemistry.
A comprehensive, problem-solving approach for the brief Organic Chemistry course.
Modern and thorough revisions to the streamlined, Essential Organic Chemistry f ocus on developing students’ problem solving and analytical reasoning skills throughout organic chemistry. Organized around reaction similarities and rich with contemporary biochemical connections, Bruice’s Third Edition discourages memorization and encourages students to be mindful of the fundamental reasoning behind organic reactivity: electrophiles react with nucleophiles.
Developed to support a diverse student audience studying organic chemistry for the first and only time, Essentials fosters an understanding of the principles of organic structure and reaction mechanisms, encourages skill development through new Tutorial Spreads and emphasizes bioorganic processes. Contemporary and rigorous, Essentials addresses the skills needed for the 2015 MCAT and serves both pre-med and biology majors.
Also Available with MasteringChemistry®
This title is also available with MasteringChemistry – the leading online homework, tutorial, and assessment system, designed to improve results by engaging students before, during, and after class with powerful content. Instructors ensure students arrive ready to learn by assigning educationally effective content before class, and encourage critical thinking and retention with in-class resources such as Learning Catalytics™. Students can further master concepts after class through traditional and adaptive homework assignments that provide hints and answer-specific feedback. The Mastering gradebook records scores for all automatically graded assignments in one place, while diagnostic tools give instructors access to rich data to assess student understanding and misconceptions. MasteringChemistry brings learning full circle by continuously adapting to each student and making learning more personal than ever—before, during, and after class.
|Product dimensions:||8.60(w) x 10.70(h) x 1.00(d)|
Table of Contents1. Remembering General Chemistry: Electronic Structure and Bonding
2. Acids and Bases: Central to Understanding Organic Chemistry
TUTORIAL Acids and Bases
3. An Introduction to Organic Compounds
4. Isomers: The Arrangement of Atomsin Space
TUTORIAL An Exercise in Drawing Curved Arrows: Pushing Electrons
6. The Reactions of Alkenes and Alkynes
7. Delocalized Electrons and Their Effect on Stability, pKa, and the Products of a Reaction • Aromaticity and the Reactions of Benzene
TUTORIAL Drawing Resonance Contributors
8. Substitution and Elimination Reactions of Alkyl Halides
9. Reactions of Alcohols, Ethers, Epoxides, Amines, and Thiols
10. Determining the Structure of Organic Compounds
11. Reactions of Carboxylic Acids and Carboxylic Acid Derivatives
12. Reactions of Aldehydes and Ketones • More Reactions of Carboxylic Acid Derivatives
13. Reactions at the a-Carbon of Carbonyl Compounds
15. Synthetic Polymers
16. The Organic Chemistry of Carbohydrates
17. The Organic Chemistry of Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins
18. How Enzymes Catalyze Reactions • The Organic Chemistry of the Vitamins 1 (Online-only chapter)
19. The Organic Chemistry of the Metabolic Pathways
20. The Organic Chemistry of Lipids
21. The Chemistry of the Nucleic Acids
Appendices I Physical Properties of Organic
Answers to Selected Problems A-12