From George Washington to Barack Obama, the presidents have led and shaped America ever since the country’s inception. Reflecting their own distinct philosophies about the role of the president, the scope of his powers, and the priorities of his administration, the words of these extraordinary men collectively provide a sweeping view of United States history.
The Essential Wisdom of the Presidents gathers together hundreds of unforgettable quotations from the chief executives. Drawn largely from their speeches, letters, essays, diaries, and autobiographies, the thematically arranged selections cover the subjects of greatest importance to the presidents themselves and vividly illustrate their singular personalities.
In this book:
· Thomas Jefferson expresses his fervent belief in religious tolerance;
· Abraham Lincoln extols the value of education;
· Theodore Roosevelt warns against the wasting of natural resources;
· Lyndon B. Johnson speaks passionately about the action required to ensure equal rights;
· John F. Kennedy offers insight into the realities of the peace process;
· Barack Obama cites the need for international cooperation in fighting the war on terror
Still other selections reveal a more personal side of the presidents. Andrew Jackson lovingly remembers his mother; James A. Garfield laments the solitude of the office; Theodore Roosevelt describes the loneliness of the White House while his family is away; Jimmy Carter recalls his childhood impressions of segregation; and Bill Clinton recollects his joy at becoming a father.
Whatever your political affiliation, The Essential Wisdom of the Presidents is an inspiring collection that will help you rediscover what each of these men did to shape and guide our great nation.
Related collections and offers
About the Author
Carol Kelly-Gangi is an editor and attorney. She is the editor of such titles as The Essential Wisdom of the Founding Fathers, Abraham Lincoln: His Essential Wisdom, and Essential African American Wisdom. She lives in New Jersey with her husband and two children.