Brief, affordable, straightforward, and packed with rich resources, this book is a true compendium of information about the best ways to share literature with children. The authors, all well respected in the field, have included selective, up-to-date lists of recommended high quality books to use with children in at various levels and from diverse backgrounds.
Here’s what makes this new edition unique.
- Recently published, good quality books have been added to every chapter.
- Technology is covered in a new section and integrated throughout the other chapters.
- Two completely redesigned chapters–Chapter 11, Literature for a Diverse Society, and Chapter 13, Developing Teaching Strategies.
- An updated color insert including recent illustrations from picture books (including examples of computer generated art) and graphic novels is presented along with an added section on how to use the Guide to Illustrations to help young readers develop visual literacy and art appreciation.
- Included are new sections on storytelling, historical fiction and biography, character education and using works of realism for developing character, plus an updated discussion on national reports related to reading and literature, and more.
To order this book WITH MyEducationKit, use either ISBN:
To order this book WITHOUT MyEducationKit, use either ISBN:
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.30(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.90(d)|
Table of Contents
Figures and Tables
Part One Children and Literature
Chapter 1 Learning about Children and Their Literature
Chapter 2 Learning about Reading and Literature
Chapter 3 Learning about Literature
Part Two Categories of Literature
Chapter 4 Poetry
Chapter 5 Picture Books
Chapter 6 Traditional Literature
Chapter 7 Modern Fantasy
Chapter 8 Realistic Fiction
Chapter 9 Historical Fiction and Biography
Chapter 10 Informational Books
Chapter 11 Literature for a Diverse Society
Part Three Literature in the School
Chapter 12 Planning the Curriculum
Chapter 13 Engaging Children with Literature