Essentials of Pathophysiology: Concepts of Altered States / Edition 4 available in Paperback
Prepare your students for their future careers with Essentials of Pathophysiology: Concepts of Altered Health States, 4/e. This clear, readable, and student-friendly text delivers “need to know” disease content, along with the essential foundation in science that nursing, physician assistant, pharmacology, advanced health science, and medical students need to succeed in their future careers. Approaching the topic as an exploration of pathophysiology, the book relates normal body functioning to the physiologic changes that occur as a result of disease and provides concise yet complete coverage of how the body works.The Fourth Edition builds on the book’s extremely successful art program and the “Understanding” feature and incorporates summary concept boxes after each section. In addition, an expanded, robust, and flexible suite of supplements, including a Study Guide, over 40 advanced 3-D animations, PrepU, and Lippincott’s CoursePoint , provide students with all the tools they need to succeed.Student Resources:
- Learning Objectives for each chapter provide an outline of key content that must be mastered.
- Journal Articles by chapter, updated for this edition, offer access to current research available in LWW journals.
- Concepts in Action Animations for every chapter help students master key topics.
- New! More than 40 Advanced, 3-D Narrated Animations help students master complex pathophysiological concepts.
- A Spanish-English Audio Glossary provides terms and phrases for communicating with patients in Spanish.
- Monographs of the most commonly prescribed drugs provide up-to-date information.
- 600 NCLEX-style Review Questions help students improve their test-taking skills and prepare for the NCLEX.
- A Dosage Calculations Question & Review Question Bank gives students practice in math skills and calculating drug dosages and reinforce key topics of the course.
- PowerPoint presentations make it easy for you to integrate the textbook with your students’ classroom experience, via either handouts or slide shows.
- Guided Lecture Notes walk you through the chapters, objective by objective, and provide corresponding PowerPoint numbers.
- Discussion Topics (and suggested answers) can be used as a conversation starter or in online discussion boards.
- Assignments (and suggested answers) include group, written, clinical, and Web assignments.
- Case Studies (with related questions and suggested answers) give your students an opportunity to apply their knowledge to a client case similar to what they will encounter in practice.
- Journal Articles, updated for this edition, offer access to research available in LWW journals.
- Answers to Review Exercises in the Book are provided for your convenience.
- Pre-Lecture Quizzes (and answers) are quick, knowledge-based assessments that allow you to check students’ reading.
- Learning Objectives for each chapter allow you to assess your students’ mastery of key skills.
- A QSEN Map demonstrates how the text supports QSEN competencies and their relationship to excellent clinical practice.
- A Sample Syllabus provides guidance for structuring your course.
- Concepts in Action Animations and Advanced 3-D Narrated Animations are provided to enhance your lectures.
|Edition description:||Fourth, North American Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.40(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.50(d)|
Table of Contents
Introduction to PathophysiologyUnit 1: Cell and Tissue FunctionChapter 1: Cell Structure and FunctionChapter 2: Cellular Responses to Stress, Injury, and AgingChapter 3: Inflammation, the Inflammatory Response, and FeverChapter 4: Cell Proliferation and Tissue Regeneration and RepairChapter 5: Genetic Control of Cell Function and InheritanceChapter 6: Genetic and Congenital DisordersChapter 7: NeoplasiaUnit 2: Integrative Body FunctionsChapter 8: Disorders of Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base BalanceChapter 9: Stress and AdaptationChapter 10: Disorders of Nutritional StatusUnit 3: Hematopoietic FunctionChapter 11: Disorders of White Blood Cells and Lymphoid TissueChapter 12: Disorders of HemostasisChapter 13: Disorders of Red Blood CellsUnit 4: Infection and ImmunityChapter 14: Mechanisms of Infectious DiseaseChapter 15: Innate and Adaptive ImmunityChapter 16: Disorders of the Immune ResponseUnit 5: Circulatory FunctionChapter 17: Control of Cardiovascular FunctionChapter 18: Disorders of Blood Flow and Blood PressureChapter 19: Disorders of Cardiac FunctionChapter 20: Heart Failure and Circulatory ShockUnit 6: Respiratory FunctionChapter 21: Control of Respiratory FunctionChapter 22: Respiratory Tract Infections, Neoplasms, and Childhood DisordersChapter 23: Disorders of Ventilation and Gas ExchangeUnit 7: Kidney and Urinary Tract FunctionChapter 24: Structure and Function of the KidneyChapter 25: Disorders of Renal FunctionChapter 26: Acute Kidney Injury and Chronic Kidney DiseaseChapter 27: Disorders of the Bladder and Lower Urinary TractUnit 8: Gastrointestinal and Hepatobiliary FunctionChapter 28: Structure and Function of the Gastrointestinal SystemChapter 29: Disorders of Gastrointestinal FunctionChapter 30: Disorders of Hepatobiliary and Exocrine Pancreas FunctionUnit 9: Endocrine SystemChapter 31: Mechanisms of Endocrine ControlChapter 32: Disorders of Endocrine Control of Growth and MetabolismChapter 33: Diabetes Mellitus and the Metabolic SyndromeUnit 10: Nervous SystemChapter 34: Organization and Control of Neural FunctionChapter 35: Somatosensory Function, Pain, and HeadacheChapter 36: Disorders of Neuromuscular FunctionChapter 37: Disorders of Brain FunctionChapter 38: Disorders of Special Sensory Function: Vision, Hearing, and Vestibular FunctionUnit 11: Genitourinary and Reproductive FunctionChapter 39: Disorders of the Male Genitourinary SystemChapter 40: Disorders of the Female Genitourinary SystemChapter 41: Sexually Transmitted InfectionsUnit 12: Musculoskeletal FunctionChapter 42: Structure and Function of the Skeletal SystemChapter 43: Disorders of the Skeletal System: Trauma, Infections, Neoplasms, and Childhood DisordersChapter 44: Disorders of the Skeletal System: Metabolic and Rheumatic DisordersUnit 13: Integumentary FunctionChapter 45: Structure and Function of the IntegumentumChapter 46: Disorders of Skin Integrity and FunctionGlossaryAppendix A: Laboratory ValuesIndex