Essentials of Sports Nutrition and Supplements / Edition 1 available in Hardcover
Millions of consumers want to lose body fat, gain muscle mass, and/or improve exercise performance. In addition to an exercise program, they often look to sports supplements as ‘tools’ to help them reach their goals. This book, the culmination of years of work by the thought leaders in the sports nutrition field will help the consumer, student, scientist, and sports nutrition professional sift through the huge volume of information and come up with reasonable and scientifically-based ideas and conclusions about sports nutrition.
Written and edited by the leaders in the field and members of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, the Essentials of Sports Nutrition and Supplements combines basic science with the best in applied sports nutrition. Topics in this book include:
• Endocrinology and Exercise
• Principles of Exercise Training
• An Overview of Dietary Supplements
• Nutritional Needs of Endurance Athletes
• Nutritional Needs of Strength-Power Athletes
• Sports Application of Creatine
• Eating to Improve Body Composition
• Pre-, During, and Post-Workout Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
• Pre- During, and Post-Workout Nutrition for Strength-Power Athletes
But the book covers much more than the short list above. Whether you are a student, scientist or sports nutrition professional, this book will serve as the resource for you in this rapidly growing field.
|Publisher:||Springer-Verlag New York, LLC|
|Product dimensions:||8.50(w) x 11.10(h) x 1.50(d)|
Table of Contents
ESSENTIALS OF SPORTS NUTRITION AND SUPPLEMENTS
The official textbook for ISSN's Certification in Sports Nutrition
Jose Antonio, Ph.D.
Doug Kalman, M.S., RD
Jeff Stout, Ph.D.
Mike Greenwood, Ph.D.
Darryn Willoughby, Ph.D.
Part I. Basic Exercise Physiology
1) Skeletal Muscle Plasticity - Joseph Chromiak, Ph.D. and Jose
2) Bioenergetics - Christopher Scott, Ph.D.
3) Endocrinology and Exercise - William J. Kraemer, Ph.D.
4) Cardiopulmonary Response to Exercise - Rick Seip, Ph.D.
5) Molecular Biology of Exercise and Nutrition - Darryn Willoughby,
6) Aspects of Overtraining - Michael Greenwood, Ph.D.
Part II. Exercise Principles and Assessment
7) Principles of Exercise Training - Steven J. Fleck. Ph.D.
8) Lab and Field Techniques for Measuring Performance - Ron Mendel,
9) Methods of Body Composition - Joe Weir, Ph.D.
10) Assessing the Nutritional Needs of Athletes - Susan M. Kleiner,
Part III. Basic and Applied Nutrition
11) An Overview of Macronutrients - Jennifer Hofheins, M.S., RD
12) Protein - Tim Ziegenfuss, Ph.D.
13) Fat - Lonnie Lowery, Ph.D.
14) Carbohydrate - Greg Haff, Ph.D.
15) Vitamins and Minerals - Darin Van Gammeren, MAEd
16) Nutritional Needs of Endurance Athletes - Suzanne Girard Eberle,
17) Nutritional Needs of Strength-Power Athletes - Jim Stoppani, Ph.D.
18) Re-Shaping the Food Guide Pyramid - Alan Shugarman, M.S., RD
19) Special Needs of Youth, Women, and the Elderly - Marie Spano, M.S.,
Part IV. Supplements
20) Sports Application of Creatine - Rick Kreider, Ph.D.
21) Ephedra and Other Weight Loss Ingredients - Chris Mohr, M.S., RD
22) An Overview of Sports Supplements (HMB, glutamine, EAAs, BCAAs,
glucosamine, EFAs, etc) - Chris Lockwood, M.S., CSCS
23) Hormonal Supplements - Legal and Illegal - Tim Ziegenfuss, Ph.D.
Part VI. Special Topics
24) Regulatory Aspects of the Sports Nutrition Industry - Rick Collins,
25) Low Carbohydate Diets - Jeff Volek, Ph.D.
26) Eating to Improve Body Composition -Jose Antonio, Ph.D. and Anssi
27) Pre-, During, and Post-Workout Nutrition for Endurance Athletes -
John Ivy, Ph.D.
28) Pre- During, and Post-Workout Nutrition for Strength-Power Athletes
- Chris Rasmussen, MS
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
I run the exams for the ISSN in Australia and offer a buy-back service for this book. Despite hundreds of sales not one person has ever wanted to part with the book. It is an invaluable tomb of unbiased, research-backed sport nutrition and supplementation information like no other.
I ordered this book to study for my ISSN exam and as the title says it comes with the CDROM...However when I got the package in the mail there was no CD that came along with it. When I called to ask where the missing CD is they told me that it was a mistake in the title and that the CD does not come with this book. For a large corporation like BN that is a big mistake to have on their website. I am terribly disappointed in the service and FALSE ADVERTISING they showed.