Europe Unfolding: 1648-1688 / Edition 2 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
The revised edition of this classic text covers both the turbulence of war which raged throughout this period, and explores how, alongside such turbulence, it was possible for some countries to both flourish and produce spectacular advances in art, science and thinking.
About the Author
John Stoye was formerly a Fellow and Tutor of Magdalen College, Oxford and the author of English Travellers Abroad 1604-1667 (1952), The Siege of Vienna (1964) and Marsigli's Europe 1680-1730 (1994).
Table of Contents
List of Maps.
1. A New Stability at the Centre.
2. The Crises of Eastern Europe.
3. The Eclipse of France.
4. The Survival of Spain.
5. The Standstill of the North.
6. The Minor Experiments in Autocracy.
7. The Major Experiment: France.
8. The European Mind, 1640-70.
9. The Diplomacy and Warfare of Louis XIV, 1660-80.
10. The Ottoman Empire and its Impact on Europe, 1672-88.
11. The Uneasy Calm of Western Europe, 1678-88.
12. Epilogue: The Interlock of 1688.
The Ruling Dynasties.