Introductory psychology courses can raise significant questions about the nature of being human. Christianity, with its emphasis on humans made in the image of God, has a clear perspective. Psychology offers answers too, but they are often subtly implied. This introductory guide, drawn from more than fifty years of classroom experience, provides students with a coherent framework for considering psychology from a Christian perspective. The authors explore biblical themes of human nature in relation to all major areas of psychology, showing how a Christian understanding of humans can inform the study of psychology. Brief, accessible chapters correspond to standard introductory psychology textbooks, making this an excellent supplemental text. End-of-chapter questions are included. A test bank for professors is available through Baker Academic's Textbook eSources.
|Publisher:||Baker Publishing Group|
|Product dimensions:||5.90(w) x 8.80(h) x 0.90(d)|
About the Author
Paul Moes (PhD, Texas Christian University) is professor of psychology at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He previously taught at Dordt College for eighteen years. He has written about Christian approaches to understanding brain function, personal responsibility, and human nature. Donald J. Tellinghuisen (PhD, University of Iowa) is professor of psychology, also at Calvin College. He previously taught at Augustana College. He has published research on attention and distractibility as well as human decision making. Moes and Tellinghuisen have taught psychology for more than fifty years combined.
Table of Contents
Five Themes of a Biblical View of Human Nature
Introduction: Why Did I Do That?
1. Who Am I? Themes of Human Nature
2. Test Time! Research Methodology
3. "Bodies Revealed": Brain and Behavior 1
4. The Ghost in the Machine: Brain and Behavior 2
5. Who Is in Control: Consciousness
6. Making Sense of Your Surroundings: Sensation, Perception, and Attention
7. Change from the Heart: Learning
8. Remember Me? Memory
9. Think about It! ThinkingDecision Making and Reasoning
10. Moving toward a Goal: Developmental Psychology
11. Trust Your Feelings! Emotion
12. We're in This Together! Social Psychology 1
13. Faithful Attitude and Action: Social Psychology 2
14. The Real You! Personality
15. In Search of Normality: Psychological Disorders
16. "Meaningful" Healing: Therapy