Learn about the amazing research that is revolutionizing biology, from advances in medicine to genetic engineering. Meet the world's toughest bacterium and a biologically immortal flatworm whilst learning about epigenetics, superbugs, nanomedicine and cloning. Extreme Biology is a compelling guide to developments at the very forefront of science – a must-read for anyone wishing to understand, and engage with, modern biology.
Topics discussed in this book include:
• Hardcore Herd: Water bear, Conan the Bacterium, Planarian flatworm, Superbug (antibiotic-resistant microbes), Aliens
• Gene Genies: Gene (including DNA, RNA, Nucleotides), Gene expression, Protein, Prion, Genome, Epigenetics
• BioHacker Crew: Gene splicing, Recombinant DNA, Recombinant protein, Polymerase chain reaction, Genetically modified organism, Cloning, Gene machine, Shmeat (including tissue culture), Designer baby, Synthetic life, Biosafety (including bioethics)
• Bioscience Buddies/Drug Dudes: Nanomedicine, Monoclonal antibodies, Broad spectrum antiviral, Pharming (the use of genetic engineering to grow drugs), Biosensors
• Medical Mavericks: Face transplant, Regenerative medicine, Gene therapy (including DNA vaccine), Functional MRI
About the Author
Artist and designer Simon Basher has fun playing in the world of contemporary character design. Inspired by a love of simple line work and a rich color palette, his characters fill the gap between edgy Manga and the cuteness of Hello Kitty!
Dan Green has written many of the titles in the Basher Science series. He studied Geology at Cambridge University. Dr Mark Lythgoe is Director for the Centre for Advanced Biomedical Imaging at University College London, where he develops imaging techniques for investigating brain and cardiac function. He is also Director of the Cheltenham Science Festival in the UK and, in 2005, received a Biosciences Federation Communication Award for his outstanding contribution to science communication. Mark combines science and art to engage with the public and increase interaction between these fields. He has produced many sci/art projects and presented several documentary programs for television and radio