School-leaver Skye plays guitar in her all-female Chronic Cramps band. Making her name in the competitive punk/indie scene is easier than FTM (female to male) transitioning: from Skye to Finn, from girl to man. Uncovering genetic mysteries about family heritage tear the family apart. Trans gender identity is more than injections and surgery, it's about acceptance. Going public, Finn sings ftm lyrics on TV. With a little help from bemused mates and family who don't want to lose a daughter, but who love their teenager, Finn is transitioning.
f2m has appeal to teen readers (both boys and girls) through its:
• Compassionate, candid and funny 'coming of age' via punk music and family history genetic clues
• Accessible facts in story format on a little-understood medical situation. FTM means female to male. MTF means male to female
• International first; female to male gender transition YA fiction
• NOT autobiographical, but co-writer Ryan has experienced the medical sequence of gender reassignment from female to male, which is less common than MTF
• Insight into genetic inheritances.
|Product dimensions:||5.06(w) x 7.81(h) x 0.70(d)|
|Age Range:||13 - 17 Years|
About the Author
Best known for There’s a Hippopotamus on Our Roof Eating Cake, Melbourne based HAZEL EDWARDS has also written YA novels & adult non-fiction including Difficult Personalities. Family friends, Hazel and Ryan co-wrote online and via webcam.
New Zealand-based RYAN KENNEDY lived as female until his transition to male at 27. Ryan works in IT and is a passionate environmentalist and musician.