Family Medicine Clerkship Guide available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Health Sciences
Medical students will excel in their family practice clerkships with the practical information in this pocket-sized resource! It examines key clinical skills · patients presenting with a sign, symptom, or abnormal lab value · and patients presenting with a known conditioneach in its own section for easy reference. Useful illustrations, key points, and clinical cases throughout the text put essential guidance at the reader's fingertips.
• Describes the special characteristics of a family medicine practice clerkship and provides guidance on working in an office-based community setting.
• Offers concise guidance on essential diagnostic tests and office procedures.
• Examines a broad range of physical and mental health issues for male and female patients across the lifespan.
• Addresses the questions students are most likely to be asked by attending physicians during their clerkship.
• Helps readers prepare for board exams with USMLE-style questions, answers, and rationales.
Table of Contents
Section 1: Introduction to the Family Medicine Clerkship
1. Secrets to being a successful student
2. Definition and scope of FM
3. Role of med student on FM clerkship
4. Orientation to the office/practice/community
5. Definition of family
6. Communication skills
7. Learning contracts
8. Biopsychosocial model
9. Prevention of disease in FM
10. Perioperative care
11. Practical skills for the medical student (IV -X-ray interpretation –Suturing –Venipuncture –Injections –Castings -Office lab –EKG Arterial puncture)
Section 2: Patients Presenting With a Symptom, Sign, or Abnormal
12. Abdominal pain
13. Arthralgia/joint pain
14. Back pain
15. Behavioral problems
16. Chest pain
17. Cough and congestion
18. Dizziness and syncope
23. GI bleeding
26. High cholesterol
28. Lower extremity pain and swelling
32. Sore throat
33. Sleep problems
34. Vaginal bleeding
35. Vaginal discharge
Section 3: Patients Presenting with a Known Condition
38. Angina and CAD
39. Cancer care and screening
43. Diabetes mellitus
44. Family discord/dysfunction
46. Health care maintenance - adults and kids
47. Liver and biliary tract disease
49. Nutrition problems and obesity
50. Perioperative care
51. School problems
53. Substance abuse
55. Thyroid Dx