Selling a farm or ranch can create serious tax consequences. Without proper planning prior to a sale of a farm or ranch, the wealth a family has worked a lifetime to create can be eroded by up to 25% or more.
Fortunately, there are financial tools and tax-saving strategies you can use to bypass taxes on the sale of a farm or ranch. If you sell your farm or ranch and do not utilize any tax-saving strategies, you will end up paying more in taxes. This means you will have less money left to invest.
Financial Strategies For Selling A Farm Or Ranch explains how you can reduce or completely bypass capital gain and income taxes on the sale of a farm or ranch and invest sale proceeds wisely. In this book you will learn:
• How to defer taxes on the sale of a farm land or ranch land with the IRC Section 1031 Tax-Deferred Exchange
• How to bypass taxes on the sale of a farm or ranch with the IRC Section 664 Charitable Remainder Trust
• How to bypass taxes on the sale of land, livestock, crops, machinery and equipment
• How to withdraw up to $500,000 of gain on the sale of a farm or ranch home tax-free
• How to create passive, reliable retirement income
• How to use a special type of life insurance and trust to pass income and estate tax free money to your heirs
• How to invest the cash proceeds from the sale of your farm or ranch
• How to avoid common investor mistakes
• How to evaluate investment vehicles such as mutual funds, ETFs, annuities, hedge funds and private equity
• How to select the best mutual funds
• How to implement, monitor and manage your investments properly
• How to create an effectively diversified investment portfolio
• How to distribute income from your investments for retirement
• How to invest 1031 exchange proceeds
• How to invest in commercial real estate
• How to evaluate investment property using Capitalization (Cap) Rates, Gross Rent Multiplier and Net Income Multiplier
• How to evaluate net operating income and commercial property leases
• How to select a commercial real estate broker
• How to select a farm or ranch real estate broker to sell your farm or ranch
• Guidelines for choosing a financial advisor to help you plan for the sale and life afterwards
• What to look for when selecting a tax advisor for your farm/ranch
• Much more
Chapter six includes a detailed analysis on the sale of a highly appreciated ranch. The Tax Reduction Wheel of Fortune illustrates how using a combination of the section 1031 exchange, section 664 charitable remainder trust, section 121 personal residence exclusion and other strategies enables a family selling a highly appreciated ranch to:
• Decrease taxes paid on the sale of a ranch by over 90%
• Increase retirement income from ranch sale proceeds by 25%
• Increase the potential inheritance for their heirs by 25%
Planning for the sale of a farm or ranch and life afterwards should not begin when you have an interested buyer for your property. It should begin before even listing your property for sale. Too often, families wait until they have a signed contract before getting financial advice. Unfortunately, when this happens, it is too late to use some tax-saving strategies. If you are selling your farm or ranch and want to preserve your wealth and make your money work for you, order this book today.
|Product dimensions:||5.98(w) x 9.02(h) x 0.51(d)|
About the Author
Chris grew up in Lewistown, Montana. Working on large cattle ranches throughout his high school and college days, Chris gained a deep respect for the work ethic and character of the agricultural family. Having seen the effects from a lack of good planning among the agricultural community, Chris determined to help farm and ranch families make smart decisions with their money.
After graduating with a degree in business from Montana State University, Chris entered the financial services business in 1989. Since then, he has been helping people reduce taxes, protect and preserve their assets and invest wisely. Chris' educational articles have been featured in numerous farm and ranch publications and he has presented educational seminars for agricultural families, CPAs, attorneys and ranch brokers in several states. A father of two children, an avid outdoorsman and devoted Christian, Chris lives in Bozeman, Montana and Fountain Hills, Arizona.