1. Gave four known speeches.
2. Coined the famous phrase "You can fool all the people...."
3. Served "as judge" in at least 37 court cases.
4. Represented the Illinois Central Railroad in a damage suit. GeorgeMcClellan, Stephen Douglas, and David Davis were present in thecourtroom. (All four later became candidates for presidency)
5. Learned to play billiards in a local parlor (Never before published fact)
6. Spent over one hundred evenings in Clinton in local hotels or as guest of local citizens.
The book is an "easy read" embellished with many jokes and humorous incidents with DeWitt County connection.