The Firefly Five Language Visual Dictionary is an unparalleled multilingual reference for our increasingly multillingual world. More than 15 million American households have a primary language that is not English. The major ones are the Indo-European languages, which include Spanish, German, Italian, French and English.
The dictionary covers all five of these languages. Its scope and depth are immense. The terminology is well researched. With more than 1000 pages and 5000 entries, you simply will not find a more comprehensive resource.
The contents are:
- Universe and Earth Celestial Bodies, Astronomical Observation, Astronautics, Geography, Geology, Meteorology, Environment
- Plants and Gardening
- Animal Kingdom Simple Organisms and Echinoderms, Insects and Arachnids, Mollusks, Crustaceans, Fishes,
Amphibians, Reptiles, Birds, Rodents and Lagomorphs, Insectivorous Mammals, Ungulate Mammals, Carnivorous Mammals, Marine Mammals, Primate Mammals, Marsupial Mammals, Flying Mammals
- The Human Being Human Body, Anatomy, Sense Organs
- Food and Kitchen
- House and Do-It-Yourself Location, Structure of a House, Elements of a House, Heating, Air Conditioning, Plumbing, Electricity, House Furniture, Do-It-Yourself
- Clothing and Personal Accessories Clothing, Personal Accessories, Personal Articles
- Arts and Architecture Fine Arts, Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Music, Architecture
- Communications and Office Automation
- Transportation Road, Rail, Maritime, Air Transport
- Science and Energy Chemistry, Physics (Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Optics), Measuring Devices,
Scientific Symbols, Geothermal and Fossil Energy, Hydroelectricity, Nuclear Energy.
Showing what other dictionaries can only describe, the Firefly Five Language Visual Dictionary is the ultimate reference for students, language learners, travelers, businesspeople, community workers and anyone interested in learning a new language and discovering more about the world.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
I really love learning a new language and thanks to the book, Firefly 5 Language Visual Dictionary by Igor Jourist is not only one language but 5 in total! You get a dictionary with all the words in different languages and visual images too! I love that it has a clear example of what you're taking a look at. For example, you want to learn what a lion looks like. Well, turn to the section that is designated to the Animal Kingdom and find the lion under mammals. You will notice that by the lion image, the many other words such as English, Spanish, French, German and Italian. Not only do you learn by a visual view, but also the many different ways to say lion in a new language. I really love this book! It's going towards my collection of the tiny language visual dictionaries I have. This one is a very wonderful book to own for reference and a fun visual way to learn! Kids and adults will really love this, it's just awesome!