"First Job is readable and entertaining. The chapters are short and well organized. Each chapter begins and ends with summaries, so that the reader is well prepared to move on to new subject areas. The variety of styles and graphicsprose, dialogues, lists, boxes, insets, and anecdotesensures a brisk pace. "First Job should be a part of all serious job seekers' campaigns. It's an investment that should pay some excellent dividends!" Dr. Richard L. White Director, Career Services Rutgers University Why do some students seem to snap up the great jobs while others have trouble getting interviews? Richard Fein knows that luck has little to do with it. As a college placement director, he's worked with thousands of graduates over the past eleven years. This book contains the basic job search principles that have worked for these students. Step by step, Fein leads you through every phase of the job hunting processfrom researching different career opportunities to preparing your resume to evaluating job offers. You'll follow the actual job hunt of seven college graduates. In this one-of-a-kind guide, you'll find out:
• How to effectively "pick the brains" of the corporate experts to gain contacts and vital information
• Everything you need to know about writing a compelling resume and cover letterwith samples of "success stories"
• Five keys to interviewing successincluding 20 sample questions with answers plus questions that you should ask your interviewer
• Tips on overcoming interview anxiety
• Four steps to a higher salary once you get the job offer
|Product dimensions:||9.00(w) x 6.00(h) x 0.55(d)|
Table of Contents
Getting Ready for the Race.
Qualifications for Business Jobs.
Asking the Pros: The Informational Interview.
The Tough First Lap.
Same Work History but Different Resumes.
FINDING AN EMPLOYER.
The Business Meeting Between Equals.
Asking Productive Questions.
Asking for the Job.
INTO THE HOME STRETCH.
Your Job Offer.
Keep on Running: Your Follow-Up Visit.
THE WINNERS' CIRCLE.
Evaluating Job Offers.
Closing the Loops.