Most Christians believe that the Bible holds the answers to their questions about daily living, and that reading the Scriptures will show them good examples to follow for their own lives. Think for a moment and try to list a few examples of healthy families in the Bible who are ideals worth emulating. Having trouble? The families of the Bible were far from perfect, and not so different in that regard from our imperfect families today.
In Flawed Families of the Bible, a New Testament scholar (David) and a professor of social work (Diana) take a real and close look at the actual families of the Bible. This honest book will inspire and encourage readers with its focus on the overarching theme of hope and grace for families, showing that it is in the "imperfect places" that we can catch a glimpse of grace. Perfect for pastors, counselors, and anyone in a flawed family.
|Publisher:||Baker Publishing Group|
|Product dimensions:||5.50(w) x 8.50(h) x 0.50(d)|
About the Author
David E. Garland (PhD, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) is associate dean for academic affairs and William M. Hinson Professor of Christian Scriptures at George W. Truett Theological Seminary, Baylor University. He is the author of numerous books, including award-winning commentaries on 1 Corinthians and Mark. Diana R. Garland (PhD, University of Louisville) is professor and dean of the School of Social Work at Baylor University and founding director of the Baylor Center for Family and Community Ministries. She is the author of Sacred Stories of Ordinary Families: Living the Faith Everyday and Family Ministry: A Comprehensive Guide. David and Diana are also coauthors of Beyond Companionship and Marriage for Better or Worse.
Table of Contents
1. Sarah's and Hagar's Stories: Hope versus Hopelessness
2. Leah's Story: When Your Spouse Loves Another and You Feel Unloved and Left Out
3. Dinah's Story: The Horror of Rape and Living through Family Shame
4. Tamar's Story: Commitment to Family against All Odds
5. Michal's Story: With a Family Like This, Who Needs Enemies?
6. Bathsheba's Story: Surviving Abuse and Devastating Loss
7. The Stories of Jephthah's Daughter and David's Daughter Tamar: When Parents Fail
8. The Ethiopian Eunuch: God's Message of Good News
Most Helpful Customer Reviews