Fluid Mechanics / Edition 5 available in Paperback
The fifth edition of this established text provides an excellent and comprehensive treatment of fluid mechanics that is concisely written and supported by good worked examples.
This revision of a classic text presents relevant material for mechanical and civil engineers, as well as energy and environmental services engineers. It recognises the evolution of the subject and provides thorough coverage of both established theory and emerging topics.
Fluid Mechanics has become a textbook of choice favourite with both students and lecturers, due to its:
- All the latest developments and applications, including emerging specialisms
- Strong coverage of the principles of fluid flow - fundamentals emphasized early in the text
Emphasis on understanding
- Good, clear explanations, together with extensive worked examples and tutorials brought together to reinforce the reader’s understanding of all the key principles
- With solutions to tutorials, and simulations of fluid mechanics, presented through some 20 programs, all fully discussed in the text
Building on the success of previous editions, this fifth edition introduces the following new features:
- New chapters on the impact of environmental change and the fluid mechanics required to both understand the consequences of climate change and develop renewable energy technologies
- Updated chapter on dimensional analysis
- Updated solutions manual
- Extended website to include enhanced and additional simulations
Fluid Mechanics is ideal for use throughout a first degree course in all engineering disciplines where a good understanding of the subject is required. It is also suitable for conversion MSc courses requiring a fundamental treatment of Fluid Mechanics and will be a valuable resource for specialist Continuing Professional Development courses, including those offered by Distance Learning.
Dr John Douglas, formerly of South Bank University, London.
Dr Janusz Gasiorek, formerly of South Bank University, London where he led the Fluid Mechanics group in Mechanical Engineering, with specialist research interest in rotodynamic machinery and fan engineering.
Professor John Swaffield, HeriotWatt University, has taught fluid mechanics for 30 years with specialist research in pressure transients, free surface unsteady flows and water conservation.
Dr Lynne Jack, Heriot-Watt University, senior lecturer in energy systems and associated environmental impacts, with research interests in unsteady flow modelling and the implications for the built environment of climate change.
|Product dimensions:||7.47(w) x 9.75(h) x 1.37(d)|
Table of Contents
Preface List of Symbols List of Computer Programs Acknowledgements PART I ELEMENTS OF FLUID MECHANICS.
1. Fluids and their Properties.
2. Pressure and Head.
3. Static Forces on Surfaces. Buoyancy.
PART II CONCEPTS OF FLUID FLOW.
4. Motion of Fluid Particles and Streams.
5. The Momentum Equation and its Applications.
6. The Energy Equation and its Applications.
7. Two-dimensional Ideal Flow.
PART III DIMENSIONAL ANALYSIS AND SIMILARITY.
8. Dimensional Analysis.
PART IV BEHAVIOUR OF REAL FLUIDS.
10. Laminar and Turbulent Flows in Bounded Systems.
11. Boundary Layer.
12. Incompressible Flow around a Body.
13. Compressible Flow around a Body.
PART V STEADY FLOW IN PIPES, DUCTS AND OPEN CHANNELS.
14. Steady Incompressible Flow in Pipe and Duct Systems.
15. Uniform Flow in Open Channels.
16. Non-uniform Flow in Open Channels.
17. Compressible Flow in Pipes.
PART VI FLUID MECHANICS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGE
18. Environmental Change & Renewable Energy Technologies
19. Environmental Change & Run-off Modelling
20. Pressure Transient Theory and Surge Control.
21. Simulation of Unsteady Flow Phenomena in Pipe, Channel and Duct Systems.
PART VII FLUID MACHINERY THEORY, PERFORMANCE AND APPLICATION
22. Theory of Rotodynamic Machines.
23. Performance of Rotodynamic Machines.
24. Positive Displacement Machines.
25. Machine-Network Interactions.
Appendix 1 Some Properties of Common Fluids.
Appendix 2 Values of Drag Coefficient CD for Various Body Shapes.