- Provides an integrated and fully theorized understanding oflanguage and law issues.
- Contains many helpful examples from genuine legal contexts andtexts.
- Discusses linguistic sources of disadvantage before the law,particularly for ethnic minorities, children and abused women.
About the Author
Table of ContentsSeries Editor’s Preface.
Examples and Conventions.
1. Introduction: The Law And Language.
2. Literacy And The Law.
3. The Pursuit Of Precision.
4. Interaction And Power.
5. Telling The Story.
6. Communication Issues In The Legal System.
7. Language And Disadvantage Before The Law.
8. Bridging The Gap.
9. Law On Language.
10. Linguistic Evidence.
Index of Legal Cases and Legislation.