Winner of the 2017 Association of American Publishers Golden Lamp Judges award.
In this galvanizing book for all educators, Kristin Souers and Pete Hall explore an urgent and growing issue—childhood trauma&mdashand its profound effect on learning and teaching.
Grounded in research and the authors' experience working with trauma-affected students and their teachers, Fostering Resilient Learners will help you cultivate a trauma-sensitive learning environment for students across all content areas, grade levels, and educational settings. The authors&mdasha mental health therapist and a veteran principal&mdashprovide proven, reliable strategies to help you
- Understand what trauma is and how it hinders the learning, motivation, and success of all students in the classroom.
- Build strong relationships and create a safe space to enable students to learn at high levels.
- Adopt a strengths-based approach that leads you to recalibrate how you view destructive student behaviors and to perceive what students need to break negative cycles.
- Head off frustration and burnout with essential self-care techniques that will help you and your students flourish.
Each chapter also includes questions and exercises to encourage reflection and extension of the ideas in this book. As an educator, you face the impact of trauma in the classroom every day. Let this book be your guide to seeking solutions rather than dwelling on problems, to building relationships that allow students to grow, thrive, and—most assuredly—learn at high levels.
|Publisher:||Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.60(d)|
Table of Contents
Foreword by Chris Blodgett
Part I: Trauma
1. Understanding Trauma and the Prevalence of the Not-OK
2. The Manifestation of ACEs in the Classroom
Part II: Self-Awareness
3. Cement Shoes: Staying True to Who You Are
4. Stay Out of Oz: Remaining Grounded Amid Chaos
5. When in Doubt, Shut Your Mouth and Take a Breath
6. It's Not About You
Part III: Relationship
7. No One Said Relationship Is Easy
8. The Power of Relationship
9. Names, Labels, and the Need for Control
10. Doors and Windows: Remembering to Explore All Options
Part IV: Belief
11. Forever Changed, Not Forever Damaged
12. It's OK to Be Not-OK
13. Don't Let Fear Drive the Bus
Part V: Live, Laugh, Love
15. The Cookie Jar: The Art of Giving Praise (and Self-Praise)
16. The Self-Care Challenge
Appendix: Additional Resources
About the Authors
Related ASCD Resources