Foundations of Nursing Research / Edition 4 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
A conversational style and comprehensive, step-by-step approach makes Foundations of Nursing Research, Fourth Edition one of the best-selling research texts for nurses. Following the steps of the nursing process, it diligently moves from problem identification and literature review, to development of hypotheses, design formulation, samples and data collection and data analysis. Case studies and self-tests provide further review. Additional features include:
- New - Concepts of evidence-based practice and its implications for nursing practice.
- New - Nursing Research on the Web sections that highlight online resources and refer to the Companion Website, prenhall.com/nieswiadomy.
- Updated - Review of the Literature provides the most current nursing research.
- Excerpts from 58 published nursing research studies.
- Get-Involved Activities provide real-life examples of what it is like in the field.
- Self-tests allow for reinforcement and review of material.
- Critiquing guidelines highlight steps for judging the appropriateness of study findings.
- New ~ Companion Website (prenhall.com/nieswiadomy) A text-specific, online, review it provides additional learning activities, opportunities to perform research searches and links to related resources.
- New ~ Online Course Management Systems - Ask your Prentice Hall Representative or go to prenhall.com/demo for more informationabout the Blackboard, CourseCompass, and WebCT courses that accompany Foundations of Nursing Research, Fourth Edition.
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.04(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.61(d)|
Table of Contents
I. INTRODUCTION TO NURSING RESEARCH.
2. An Overview of Quantitative Research.
3. Ethical Issues in Nursing Research.
II. PRELIMINARY STEPS IN THE RESEARCH PROCESS.
5. Review of the Literature.
6. Theory and Nursing Research.
7. Hypotheses and Research Questions.
III. RESEARCH DESIGNS.
9. Qualitative Research Designs.
IV. OBTAINING STUDY SUBJECTS AND COLLECTION OF DATA.
11. Measurement and Collection of Data.
12. Data-Collection Methods.
V. DATA ANALYSIS.
14. Inferential Statistics.
15. Presentation and Discussion of Study Findings.
VI. RESEARCH FINDINGS AND NURSING PRACTICE.
17. Critique of Research Reports.
Answers to Self-tests.
Appendix A: Consent Form.
Appendix B: Sources of Research Instruments.
As a reader of this book, you are not expected to become proficient in critiquing research reports or to be able to conduct research independently. My goals for writing this book will have been achieved if you:
- are more enthusiastic about nursing research
- have gained knowledge about the research process
- possess beginning skills necessary to evaluate research findings
- are motivated to use research findings in your practice
- have the desire to conduct your own research studies in the future.
For those of you who are just beginning your careers in nursing, the future of the profession depends on you.
This book is intended primarily for individuals with little research experience, particularly undergraduate nursing students. However, many students in graduate programs have used this text to gain a better understanding of nursing research. They have commented that this text explains the research process clearly and succinctly. It is my hope that practicing nurses will also use this book as they evaluate study findings for use in practice and as they begin to conduct their own studies.
FEATURES OF THE BOOK
The informal writing style has beenmaintained in this fourth edition of the text. The book is even more learner-friendly than the previous three editions. In the past, readers have made many positive comments about the writing style. Students have said that they often feel as if they are talking with me, the author. Please interact with me as you read this text. You can nod in agreement, frown in disagreement, or shake your head in disbelief if you do not understand the material. Regardless of your responses, please react! Get involved. This is the best way to learn about research.
The exercises at the end of the chapters are meant to help you get excited about research. Because most of you will not be conducting research while you are learning about the research process, exercises in class will help to simulate what it would be like if you were actually carrying out the steps of a study.
Material is presented in a very concrete manner. This book presents approximately 60 excerpts from recent studies published by nurses to illustrate various aspects of research. New terms are highlighted and defined the first time they are discussed. At the end of Chapters 3 through 15, a section is devoted to critiquing the specific step of the research process that each chapter addresses. Also, a set of critiquing questions is highlighted in a box for easy access. Each chapter concludes with a summary of the content presented in the chapter.
Two distinctive features of the book are the Get Involved Activities and the Self-Tests at the end of each chapter. Readers tell me that they like to see how well they perform on the self-tests. Answers to all questions are provided at the back of the book.
A new feature of the text is the inclusion of Research on the Web. This feature appears in each chapter, encouraging readers to go to the free Companion Website at www.prenhall.com/nieswiadomy to access the interactive, chapter-specific modules. Each module consists of a variety of critical thinking and other exercises, links to other online resources regarding nursing research, and objectives.
Instructors adopting this textbook have free access to the online Syllabus Manager feature of the Companion Website, www.prenhall.com/nieswiadomy. It offers a whole host of features that facilitate the students' use of the Companion Website, and allows faculty to post syllabi, course information, and assignments online for their students. Finally, online course management companions for Foundations of Nursing Research, 4th Edition are available for schools using Blackboard, Course Compass, or WebCT course management systems. The online course management solutions feature interactive modules and an electronic test bank for teaching this course content through distance learning. For more information and a demonstration of Syllabus Manager or Prentice Hall's online course companions, please contact your Prentice Hall Sales Representative.
Tell yourself that learning about nursing research can be interesting, fun, and exciting. Have a happy journey!
Rose Marie Nieswiadomy, PhD, RN