Want it by Wednesday, September 26?
Order by 12:00 PM Eastern and choose Expedited Shipping at checkout.
Same Day shipping in Manhattan. See Details
Franklin is a microcosm of how a sparsely populated farming community may progress into a small city. German and Irish settlers established Franklin’s earliest business enterprisestaverns, blacksmiths, farm supply stores, and the annual Labor Day fair, which remains the largest of its kind in Milwaukee County. In 1956, Franklin moved from a township to a city, featuring a single patrolman and an all-volunteer fire department. For entertainment, Franklinites availed themselves of the 41 Twin Outdoor Theater or Saturday night races at Hales Corner Speedway, Little League diamonds in St. Martins or behind the fire station, and dance halls at Heiden’s or the White Dove. A new era began when Franklin High School opened its doors to 350 students in 1962. Today, at 36 square milesMilwaukee’s largest suburbit is noteworthy that Franklin still has room for a functioning stone quarry and the Tuckaway Country Club.
About the Author
Doug Schmidt is president of the Franklin Historical Society, a fourth-generation Franklin resident, and a member of the first four-year graduation class from Franklin High School in 1966. Established in 1969, the Franklin Historical Society preserves historic buildings like Whelan School, the old town hall, the Sheehan-Godsell cabin, and St. Peters Chapel.
Table of Contents
1 Birth of St. Martins 9
2 Life on the Farm 21
3 Life outside the Farm 37
4 Politics and Protection 49
5 Sports and Leisure 59
6 One Room, Eight Grades 71
7 Franklin High School 87
8 Franklin Historical Society 105
9 The Building Boom 119