Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date.
For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.
In this expanded edition of a classic text, Anton Kris reexamines the method of free association, one of the foundational components of psychoanalysis. Tracing the history of the concept from its original pride of place among early analysts through its more recent downgrading, Kris reformulates the multifaceted illumination that free association provides, thereby assigning it a central place in contemporary thinking about psychoanalytic technique.
Table of Contents
Preface to the Revised Edition
- Formulation from the Viewpoint of Free Association
- Varieties of Free Association
- Functions of Free Association
- The Method of Free Association
- Reluctance, Resistance, and Negative Attitudes
- The Dynamics of Free Association
- Satisfaction in Free Association
- Free Association in Two Kinds of Conflict
- Transference and Free Association
- Countertransference and Free Association
- Illustrations of the Free Association Process
- Development and Free Association
- Free Association in Psychotherapy
- Prospects for Education and Research