In 1821, Stephen F. Austin and the "Old 300" colonists boarded the Lively and entered the Brazos River, landing at Old Velasco. After hurricanes repeatedly tore the little town apart, residents moved four miles upstream to New Velasco in 1891. Then, the 1900 hurricane, which nearly wiped Galveston off of the map, also devastated New Velasco. But even the earliest Texans were tough, and they endured, rebuilt, and thrived. In 1912, across the Brazos River, the discovery of sulphur gave birth to Freeport. Freeport and Velasco grew side-by-side for 45 years until 1957, when they were consolidated. Thus, some citizens felt that the city ought to then be called "Freeport-Velasco." In 1961, Hurricane Carla roared into Freeport. It was followed through the years by many other mega-storms, but Freeport has weathered them all. Efforts are being made to revitalize downtown to the beauty it had a century ago.
About the Author
Brenda Laird worked as a school teacher at Freeport Intermediate School in Freeport and at Lanier Middle School in Velasco for a total of 30 years. Laird fell in love with the students and their hometown and became deeply interested in the history of Velasco and Freeport.