The French Wars of Religion tore the country apart for almost fifty years. They were also part of the wider religious conflict between Catholics and Protestants which raged across Europe during the 16th century. This new study, by a major authority on French history, explores the impact of these wars and sets them in their full European context.
Table of Contents
List of Maps.
List of Abbreviations.
1. France around 1559.
2. Crown and nobility.
3. The rise of Protestantism.
4. Opening shots (1559-1562).
5. The first civil war (April 1562-March 1563).
6. The armed peace (March 1563-September 1567).
7. The second and third wars (1567-1570).
8. St. Bartholomew's Day and after (1572-1575).
9. From LaRochelle to Beaulieu (1572-1576).
10. The sixth war (December 1576-September 1577).
11. The Catholic League (1578-1589).
12. The conquest of the kingdom (1589-1592).
13. Conversion and peace (1592-1598).
List of provincial governors, 1559-1598.