Introduction: J. Timmons Roberts and Amy Hite.
Part I: Formative Ideas on the Transition to Modern Society:.
1. "Manifesto of the Communist Party" and "Alienated Labor": Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels.
2. Selections from The Division of Labor in Society: Emile Durkheim.
3. The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism: Max Weber.
Part II: How does Development Change People? Modernization Theories and the Intellectual Roots of the Development Project:.
4. Evolutionary Universals in Society: Talcott Parsons.
5. The Five Stages-of-Growth - A Summary: W. W. Rostow.
6. From A Study of Slum Culture: Backgrounds for LA VIDA: Oscar Lewis.
7. Excerpts from The Passing of Traditional Society: Daniel Lerner.
8. Making Men Modern: On the Causes of Individual Change in Six Developing Countries: Alex Inkeles.
9. From The Change to Change: Modernization, Development, and Politics, and Political Order in Changing Societies: Samuel Huntington.
Part III: Blaming The Victims? Dependency and World-Systems Theories Respond: .
10. The Development of Underdevelopment: Andre Gunder Frank.
11. Dependency and Development in Latin America: Fernando Henrique Cardoso and Enzo Faletto.
12. The Dynamics of Rural Poverty in Latin America: Alain de Janvry and Carlos Garramón.
13. The Rise and Future Demise of the World Capitalist System: Concepts for Comparative Analysis: Immanuel Wallerstein.
14. The Effects of International Economic Dependence on Development and Inequality: A Cross-National Study: Christopher Chase-Dunn.
15. Rethinking Development Theory: Insights from East Asia and Latin America: Gary Gereffi.
Part IV: Attempts to Understand Globalization and its Social Effects:.
16. The New International Division of Labor in the World Economy: Folker Fröbel, Jürgen Heinrichs, and Otto Kreye.
17. Globalization: Myths and Realities: Philip McMichael.
18. Capitalism: The Factory of Fragmentation: David Harvey.
19. Introduction from Has Globalization Gone Too Far?: Dani Rodrik.
20. Gender Industrialization, Transnational Corporations and Development: An Overview of Trends and Patterns: Kathryn B. Ward and Jean Larson Pyle.
21. Development after Ecology: Bob Sutcliffe.
22. Social Movements and Global Capitalism: Leslie Sklair.
23. Neoliberalism and the Sociology of Development: Emerging Trends and Unanticipated Facts: Alejandro Portes.