Frommer's. The best trips start here.
Experience a place the way the locals do. Enjoy the best it has to offer.
The best of the Southwest, from Native American culture and outdoor adventures to luxurious spas and world-class resorts.
Outspoken opinions on what's worth your time and what's not.
Exact prices, so you can plan the perfect trip whatever your budget.
Off-the-beaten-path experiences and undiscovered gems, plus new takes on top attractions.
About the Author
Karl Samson (Arizona coverage) finds that the sunny winter skies of the Arizona desert are the perfect antidote to the dreary winters of his Pacific Northwest home. Each winter, he flees the rain to explore Arizona’s deserts, mountains, cities, and small towns. It is the state’s unique regional style, Native American cultures, abundance of contemporary art, and, of course, boundless landscapes that keep him fascinated by Arizona. Summer finds him researching his other books, including Frommer’s Washington, Frommer’s Oregon, and Frommer’s Seattle & Portland.
Residents of northern New Mexico for more than 30 years, Don and Barbara Laine (Colorado and Utah coverage) have traveled extensively throughout the Rocky Mountains and the Southwest. They are the authors of Frommer’s Colorado, Frommer’s Utah, Frommer’s Rocky Mountain National Park, and Frommer’s Zion & Bryce Canyon National Parks; are the lead authors of Frommer’s National Parks of the American West; and have contributed to Frommer’s Texas and Frommer’s USA. The Laines have also written Little-Known Southwest and New Mexico & Arizona State Parks (both for The Mountaineers Books).
Mary Herczog (Las Vegas coverage) lives in Los Angeles and works in the film industry. She is the author of Frommer’s New Orleans and Las Vegas For Dummies, and has contributed to Frommer’s Los Angeles. She still isn’t sure when to hit and when to hold when playing blackjack.
Table of ContentsList of Maps.
What’s New in the Southwest.
1. The Best of the Southwest.
2. Planning Your Trip to the Southwest.
3. Suggested Southwest Itineraries.
4. The Active Vacation Planner.
5. The Four Corners Area.
6. Santa Fe.
9. Pueblos, Reservations & the Best of Northern New Mexico.
10. UFOs & Carlsbad Caverns: Southern New Mexico from Top to Bottom.
12. Phoenix, Scottsdale & the Valley of the Sun.
13. The Deserts, High Plains & Sky Islands of Southern Arizona.
14. Sedona & the Colorado River: The Best of Central & Western Arizona.
15. The Grand Canyon & Northern Arizona.
16. Southern Utah’s National Parks.
17. Las Vegas.
Appendix: The Southwest in Depth.