- Insider advice on avoiding the crowds as you explore some of Brazil's greatest gems, from Copacabana and Ipanema beaches in Rio to the best jungle lodges in the Amazon to the majestic waterfalls at Iguacu. Plus tips for navigating the country's lovely but less-traveled corners, from the wild Pantanal wetlands to the historic gold rush cities of Minas Gerais state.
- Where to find the absolute best beaches, the most extravagant rodizios (all-you-can-eat meat affairs), and the hottest nightlife that Brazil has to offer. Plus lots of tips on how and where to spot wildlife.
- Helpful information on everything you'll need to know to celebrate Carnaval in Rio.
- Opinionated write-ups. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writers are passionate about their destinationsthey tell it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activityno other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- All Complete guides offer user-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
About the Author
A native of California, Shawn Blore has lived and worked in a half dozen countries and traveled in at least 60 more (but who’s counting). Long a resident of Vancouver, Shawn has in recent years made his home in Rio de Janeiro. He is an award-winning journalist and author of Vancouver: Secrets of the City.
Alexandra de Vries is a freelance writer and translator. Born in Amsterdam to a Dutch father and Brazilian mother, Alexandra made her first trip to Brazil at the ripe old age of 1 month. Throughout the years, Alexandra has returned many more times to travel, explore, and live in this amazing country. Alexandra wrote the Frommer’s Rio de Janeiro Day by Day guide and has translated books and articles on Brazilian icons such as Oscar Niemeyer, Burle Marx, Vinicius de Moraes, and Chico Buarque.
Table of Contents
List of Maps vii
1 THE BEST OF BRAZIL 1
2 BRAZIL IN DEPTH 12
3 SUGGESTED BRAZIL ITINERARIES 32
4 RIO DE JANEIRO 42
5 SIDE TRIPS FROM RIO DE JANEIRO 131
6 MINAS GERAIS: BELO HORIZONTE & THE HISTORICAL CITIES 157
7 SÃO PAULO 180
8 SALVADOR & THE BEST OF BAHIA 223
9 RECIFE, OLINDA & FERNANDO DE NORONHA 281
10 NATAL 314
11 FORTALEZA 331
12 SÃO LUIS & THE LENÇÓIS MARANHENSES 346
13 THE AMAZON: MANAUS & BELÉM 362
14 BRASILIA 404
15 THE SOUTH OF BRAZIL 418
16 THE PANTANAL 457
17 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO BRAZIL 475
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
This guidebook was a bit superficial and did not cover all of the remote areas of the country that we visited. I suspect it's aimed at people on package tours who just want a supplement to their trip but do not need all of the do's and don'ts of getting around and finding your own places to stay and things to do. However the descriptions of individual sights were good.
Bad not good