Let Frommer's Take You To:
- Azure-hued Lake Como and its bustling lakefront promenades
- The Veneto's vibrant Giotti frescoes and grand villas
- Verona's amazingly well-preserved Roman amphitheater, home to world-renowned summer opera
- Medieval and Renaissance churches and squares, flowering gardens and natural hot springs in Lake Garda area
- The lush, peaceful Borromean Islands
- And much, much more!
Inside You'll Find:
- 25 distinctive, easy-to-use itineraries—all fully illustrated with beautiful full-color photos
- Recommendations on the best hotels and restaurants along each route
- Exact directions, distances, and driving times for each route
- All the sights along the way—with highlights for history buffs, nature lovers, and families traveling with kids
- Scenic side trips, special moments, and recommended walks
- Detailed, accurate full-color route-planning maps—plus a helpful atlas section
Table of ContentsRoute Map of the Lakes.
About This Book.
Tour 1: The Borromean Gulf.
Tour 2: Lower Verbano & Vergante.
Tour 3: Upper Verbano.
The Holiday Tradition.
Tour 4: Lake Maggiore to Lake Orta.
Tour 5: From Varese to Lake Maggiore.
The Lakes of Varese & Lake Lugano.
Tour 6: The Lakes of Varese.
Tour 7: Lake Lugano.
Tour 8: Como.
Origin of the Lakes.
Tour 9: Lower Lario.
Tour 10: The Lakes & Hills of Brianza.
Tour 11: Upper Lario & Valsàssina.
Bergamo, Brescia & Lake Iseo.
Tour 12: Bergamo.
Tour 13: Lake Iseo & Val Camònica.
Tour 14: From Sebino to Franciacorta.
Food & Wine of the Lakes.
Tour 15: Brescia.
Tour 16: The Southern Brescian Shore.
Tour 17: The Northern Shore.
Tour 18: Garda in Trentino & Other Lakes.
Tour 19: Verona.
Tour 20: The Lower Lake near Verona.
The Flora of the Lakes.
Tour 21: Around Mantua.
Tour 22: The Upper Lake near Verona.
Tour 23: Venice.
Tour 24: Delights of the Veneto.
Tour 25: From Padua to Vicenza.
Getting Around the Italian Lakes.
Accommodation and Restaurants.
Index & Acknowledgements.
Atlas and Town Plans.