- Insider advice on hitting all of Oregon's top sights, from vibrant Portland and Crater Lake National Park to theater in Ashland and wine in the Willamette Valley. Plus, extensive coverage of the great outdoors, from the Cascades to the Columbia Gorge, plus wildlife viewing, fishing, biking, and beaching along the Oregon Coast.
- Where to find the best biking along the coast, the loveliest wineries in the Willamette Valley, and the best new restaurants in Portland.
- Insightful commentary from our author, a longtime resident of Oregon who's tapped into everything from where to find the best cup of coffee to how to tour with state with kids in tow.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writers are passionate about their destinationsthey tell it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activityno other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
About the Author
Karl Samson lives in Oregon, where he spends his time juggling his obsessions with traveling, gardening, outdoor sports, and wine. Each winter, to dry out his webbed feet, he flees the soggy Northwest and heads to Arizona, where he updates Frommer's Arizona & the Grand Canyon. Karl is also the author of Frommer's Seattle and Frommer's Washington State.
Table of Contents
List of Maps vi
1 THE BEST OF OREGON 1
2 OREGON IN DEPTH 13
3 SUGGESTED OREGON ITINERARIES 35
4 PORTLAND 48
5 THE WILLAMETTE VALLEY: THE BREAD (& WINE) BASKET OF OREGON 114
6 THE OREGON COAST 160
7 THE COLUMBIA GORGE 233
8 THE CASCADES 254
9 SOUTHERN OREGON 275
10 CENTRAL OREGON 305
11 EASTERN OREGON 328
12 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO OREGON 351