- Insider advice on navigating Peru’s stunning natural and cultural attractions, like witnessing giant condors soar through the Colca Canyon, trekking through the Amazon jungle, exploring Cusco’s lively Mercado Central, and, of course, hiking the Inca trail to the gates of Machu Picchu.
- Where to find the most charming villages of the Sacred Valley, the best place to surf along Peru’s Pacific Coast, and an hotel carved out of a converted monastery. Our author shares his picks on where to kick back and enjoy a pisco sour, shop for the most exquisite Andean textiles, and enjoy Lima’s tastiest ceviche.
- Insightful commentary on the most compelling aspects of Peruvian culture, language tips, and sustainable travel solutions.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writers are passionate about their destinationsthey tell it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activityno other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
About the Author
Each Frommer's guide is personally researched and thoroughly updated by a single author or a small team. Our guides have a fun, intensely personal voice and a real person's judgments you can trust. Neil E. Schlecht is a writer, photographer, and cycling fanatic who has lived in Spain, Brazil, and Ecuador; he is the author of Spain for Dummies and the co-author of Frommer's Texas, Frommer's South America, and Frommer's New York State.
Table of Contents
List of Maps.
What's New in Peru.
1. The Best of Peru.
2. Planning Your Trip to Peru.
3. Suggested Peru Itineraries.
4. The Active Vacation Planner.
6. The Central Coast & Highlands.
8. Machu Picchu & the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
9. Southern Peru.
11. Northern Peru.
Appendix A: Peru in Depth.
Appendix B: Useful Terms & Phrases.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Good recommendations on places to stay, dining, sightseeing. However, the book needs to be updated. You need to check on prices, hours, etc. before relying on the information provided. Much is not current. The descriptions of places to see are largely accurate and helpful. Sometimes this book contained more information than the guided tour.