- Free full-color, foldout map
- Completely updated every year
- Insider advice from our local experts who tell you where the locals go at night, where to find the best new restaurants and food trucks, where to take your kids, and the best free museum hours and other free attractions. You'll also here from local celebrities: Top Chef Just Desserts winner, Yigit Pura, reveals his favorite spots for sweets; Sommelier of the Year Eugenio Jardim shares his favorite wine bars, from budget to splurge; and drag queen Heklina gives quick takes on every single gay bar in the Castro!
- Where to find the best hotel at every price point, absolute best burrito in the Mission, the best Dungeness crab, the hippest new cocktail bars, the restaurants with the best ocean views, where to find the Bush Man on Pier 39 and other local odditiesplus full coverage of Napa, Sonoma, Berkeley, Oakland, Sausalito, Marin, Muir Woods and Mount Tamalpais.
- Insightful commentary on San Francisco's cultural icons, from Allen Ginsberg and Jack Kerouac to Ken Kesey's 3-Day Trips Festival to Harvey Milk and the gay rights movementplus the best walking tours for discovering this history.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writers are passionate about their destinationsthey tell it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activityno other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
About the Author
Matthew Poole, a native Californian and San Francisco resident, has authored more than two dozen travel guides to California, Hawaii, and abroad, and is a regular contributor to radio and television travel programs. Before becoming a full-time travel writer and photographer, he worked as an English tutor in Prague, a ski instructor in the Swiss Alps, and a scuba instructor in Maui and Thailand. His other titles include Frommer’s California, Frommer’s Irreverent Guide to San Francisco, Frommer’s San Francisco Day by Day, and Frommer’s San Francisco Free & Dirt Cheap. You can follow Matthew’s weekly blog posts about travel adventures in Northern California at LocalGetaways.com.
A native San Franciscan, Erika Lenkert divides her time between San Francisco and Napa Valley, where she is forever seeking the next best restaurant, hotel room, and fun way to savor the region. She frequently writes Every Day with Rachael Ray party guides and off ers up tasty local tips on the region for other various magazines. In her spare time she tours the region with her husband, Colie, and daughter, Viva, and authors books, such as The Last-Minute Party Girl: Fashionable, Fearless, and Foolishly Simple Entertaining; The Real Deal Guide to Pregnancy; and Healthy Eating During Pregnancy.
From tracking gorillas in Rwanda to scuba diving with sharks during a South Pacifi c cyclone, there's not much Kristin Luna won't do for the sake of a story. Kristin has written guidebooks for Frommer's and Globe Pequot Press and was a former contributing writer for Newsweek, Forbes Traveler, and the Travel Channel. She also freelances for Islands, Robb Report, Sherman's Travel, Destination Weddings & Honeymoons, the San Francisco Chronicle, Toronto Globe & Mail, Real Simple, Glamour, Self, and more.
Table of Contents
List of Maps vi
1 THE BEST OF SAN FRANCISCO 1
2 SAN FRANCISCO IN DEPTH 14
3 SAN FRANCISCO NEIGHBORHOODS & SUGGESTED ITINERARIES 42
4 WHERE TO STAY 60
5 WHERE TO EAT 106
6 EXPLORING SAN FRANCISCO 170
7 CITY STROLLS 229
8 SHOPPING 246
9 SAN FRANCISCO AFTER DARK 268
10 SIDE TRIPS FROM SAN FRANCISCO 299
11 THE WINE COUNTRY 327
12 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO 389
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
I have two issues with this item. First, I purchased the nookbook version. Hopefully they have updated the file since then, as the one I purchased was only partially readable. Many articles were cut off after one screen image and entire chapters in the latter half of the book were either missing or bugged/unreadable. B&N customer service tells me this is the publisher's fault. I'm not certain I care whose fault it is. No refund or credit was offered, by the way. Second, the content of the book, in my opinion, relies far too much on the author's opinions in places. Granted, it makes for a more friendly, readable guide, but it becomes clear as you read certain sections that the author has opinions about certain areas of town and types of activities which skew the writing and the inclusion/exclusion of certain things. I actually went counter to many of the recommendations in the book and had a very enjoyable trip.