"By the time you finish reading this book, you'll have a solid plan for spending an appropriate amount of time on language topics that will move kids forward in their spoken and written expression, their ability to talk about language in technical ways using appropriate terminology, and their understanding of language in its social, cultural, and historical contexts."
Grammar-doesn't it seem so 19th century? In Funner Grammar, Sandra Wilde approaches language learning in ways that reflect contemporary usage, including respectful and celebratory treatment of American language diversity. Help your students learn about language for its own sake-without mind-numbing workbook exercises- with sample lessons and fresh ways of thinking about:
- mechanics-the conventions of written language
- traditional grammar instruction-simple and accurate ways to think about parts of speech, sentence types, and verb tenses
- usage-why some ways that people speak are considered "wrong," and how teachers can help kids understand and control their choices in spoken and written language
- language and social justice-how knowledge of language variation can help us treat all children fairly and support English language learners
- linguistics-how to explore language in interesting ways: its nature, history, and geography.
With appendices that suggest topics and units of study for different grade-level ranges, connections to the Common Core State Standards, and lists of selected readings for teachers and kids, Funner Grammar provides the tools to help kids explore and understand the fascinating and ever-changing world of grammar. Read Funner Grammar and provide your students with knowledge that will serve them in meeting language and grammar expectations in school and the world outside the classroom.
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.40(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.50(d)|
|Age Range:||8 - 13 Years|