With the development of improved methods of transferring genes into cells, new treatment options are becoming available in orthopaedics and sports medicine to aid in the healing capacity of musculoskeletal tissues. In this book, current techniques in gene therapy and tissue engineering are described in addition to their potential applications in the management of orthopaedic trauma and sports-related injuries such as muscle injury and ligament, meniscus, or cartilage damage. The book bridges the gap between the clinicians aiming to improve recovery following such injuries, and researchers interested in tissue engineering and gene therapy. This book will be read by physicians and researchers in orthopaedic surgery, sports medicine, and cell and molecular biology.
Table of Contents1. Gene Therapy in Orthopaedics. C. Lattermann, H. Fu
2. The Use of Different Viral Vectors and Strategies for Gene Transfer to the Musculoskeletal System. J. Huard
3. Regional Gene Therapy for Hard Tissues. J.R. Lieberman
4. Potential Applications of Gene Therapy to the Treatment of Spinal Disorders. K. Nishida, J.D. Kang, S.D. Boden, L.G. Gilbertson, J.K. Suh,
P.D. Robbins, C.H. Evans
5. The Development of Approaches Based on Gene Therapy to Improve Muscle Healing Following Injury. J. Menetrey, C. Kasemkijwattana, C.S. Day, P.
Bosch, M.S. Moreland, F.H. Fu, J. Huard
6. Non-Viral Gene Therapy: Application in the repair of osteochondral articular defects. R.S. Goomer, D.A. Amiel
7. The Potential of Gene Therapy for Osteogenesis Imperfecta. C.
Niyibizi, P.N. Smith, J. Greenberg
8. The Role of Nitric Oxide as a Candidate Molecule for Gene Therapy in Sports Injuries. S.A. Rodeo, K. Izawa
9. Stem Cells and Tissue Engineering. H.E. Young
10. Tissue Engineering of Ligament Healing. S. Woo, N. Watanabe, K.A.
11. Muscle Based Tissue Engineering for Orthopaedic Applications. D.S.
Musgrave, C.S. Day, P. Bosch, J. Menetrey, C. Kasemkijwattana, M.S.
Moreland, F.H. Fu, J. Huard
12. Application of Tissue Engineering to Cartilage Repair. J.K. Suh,
13. Immune Reaction Following Cell and Gene Therapy. J.P. Tremblay
14. Vectors for Gene Transfer to Joints. P.D. Robbins, S.C. Ghivizzani,
J.C. Glorioso, C.H. Evans
15. The Use of Adeno-Associated Virus for the Musculoskeletal System. X.
Xiao, R. Pruchnic, J. Li, J. Huard Index