1. Geographical Knowledge, Exploration and Empire.
2. The Royal Geographical Society and the Empire of Science.
3. Hints to Travellers: Observation in the Field.
4. Missionary of Science: David Livingstone and the Exploration of Africa.
5. Becoming an Explorer: The Martyrdom of Winwood Reade.
6. Exploration by Warfare: Henry Morton Stanley and his Critics.
7. Making Representations: From an African Exhibition to the High Court of Justice.
8. Exploring Darkest England: Mapping the Heart of Empire.
9. Geography Militant and its After-life.