Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date.
For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.
The need for nurses is always great, but so is the competition to secure a place in a pre-registration programme at university. If you’re considering a career in nursing, Get into UK Nursing School For Dummies can provide you with the vital edge you need to succeed at getting into nursing school. This compact book provides you with expert advice at each step along the way, including:
- Career assessment — is nursing for you?
- Choosing a field to specialize in — adult, children's, mental health or learning disability nursing.
- Long term planning — A-levels, extracurricular activities, volunteer work, and work experience — that can make you a more attractive candidate
- Considerations for mature/non-traditional students.
- Personal statement — Plenty of insight and examples to help you create a winning and — truly personal — personal statement
- Research — Put together a plan that ensures you find a university that’s right for you.
- Test preparation — Brush up on your literacy and numeracy skills.
- The interview — Common questions and how to tackle them whether you’re in a one-on-one and group interview.
From "How do I get started?" to "When can I expect to be offered a place?" Get into Nursing School For Dummies answers the questions you have with the information you need.
|Product dimensions:||14.40(w) x 9.30(h) x 0.80(d)|
About the Author
Andrew Evered, RN, MSc (Econ), PGCE is a Lead Admissions Tutor and Senior Lecturer for Adult Nursing at the College of Human and Health Sciences, Swansea University, and he has extensive experience working with both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting Started with a Career in Nursing 7
Chapter 1: Getting to Know Nursing 9
Chapter 2: Exploring Your Options: Nursing Fields 25
Part II: Focusing on Your Personal Development 43
Chapter 3: Weighing Academic Qualifications 45
Chapter 4: Professional Requirements: How Do You Rate? 65
Chapter 5: Proving Your People Skills 77
Chapter 6: Gaining Care Experience 89
Part III: Preparing to Apply 103
Chapter 7: Understanding the Nursing Programme 105
Chapter 8: Exploring Universities 119
Chapter 9: Making the Most of Open Days and Visits 135
Chapter 10: Money Matters 143
Part IV: Perfecting Your Application 159
Chapter 11: Following the UCAS Process 161
Chapter 12: Writing Your Personal Statement 169
Chapter 13: Finding Solid References 181
Part V: Attending Selection Days . . . And Beyond 189
Chapter 14: Attending the Selection Day 191
Chapter 15: Preparing for Assessments 203
Chapter 16: Excelling in the Interview 213
Chapter 17: Getting Your Results and Making Decisions 227
Part VI: The Part of Tens 239
Chapter 18: Ten Tips for a Successful Application 241
Chapter 19: Ten Common Pitfalls to Navigate 245