This volume continues the series of books on “Plant Pathology in the 21st Century”, and contains the papers given at the 10th International Congress of Plant Pathology (ICPP 2013) held in Beijing, August 25-30, 2013 concerning seed health.
Many pathogens are transmitted throughout infected seeds and propagation material .The fact that propagation material production is very much concentrated in few establishments, favors the quick spread of new diseases throughout seed commercialization. This phenomenon is very much accelerated in a globalized system.
The book covers case studies of contamination, aspects of detection and diagnosis as well as disease management strategies, with special emphasis towards seed treatments with unconventional products.
This book will be useful for all plant pathologists as well as students in advanced courses.
Table of Contents
GLOBAL PERSPECTIVES ON THE HEALTH OF SEEDS AND PLANT PROPAGATION MATERIAL
Editors: Maria Lodovica Gullino and Gary Munkvold
I. General aspects
1. Seed Pathology Progress in Academia and Seed Industry; H.E Simmons Gary Munkvold
2. Global Standards in Seed Health Testing; Theresa A.S. Aveling
3. Seed-borne pests and phytosanitary issues: the role of EPPO; F. Petter, M. Suffert, M. McMullen, D. Griessinger, and A.S. Roy
4. Seed-borne fungal pathogens of leafy vegetable crops; M. Lodovica Gullino, Giovanna Gilardi, Angelo Garibaldi
5. Technical challenges for specific, sensitive detection of seed-borne bacterial pathogens; Norman W. Schaad, USA, Norman W Schaad, Carmen N Mortensen, Jianqiang Li, Jianjun Feng, Laixin Luo, Angelo Mazzaglia, Giorgio M Balestra
6. Improved detection and monitoring of seed-borne fungal plant pathogens in Europe; Giovanni Vannacci, Sabrina Sarrocco, Angelo Porta-Puglia
III. Seed treatments
7. Benefits of chemical seed treatments on crop yield and quality; Gary Munkvold, Cliff Watrin, M. Scheller, R. Zeun, G. Olaya
8. Non-chemical Seed Treatment in the Control of Seed-borne Pathogens; Eckhard Koch, Steven J. Roberts
9. Chemical and non-chemical seed dressing for leafy vegetable crops; M. Lodovica Gullino, Giovanna Gilardi, Angelo Garibaldi