The Generals Who Shook Nations Roberts Liardon chronicles compelling spiritual biographies of some of the most powerful preachers ever to ignite the fires of revival. Follow the faith journeys and lives of the great generals of God, including:
- George Whitefield, whose dramatic flair and passionate preaching needed no modern conveniences like microphones to reach crowds of more than sixty thousand people.
- Charles Finney, the skeptical lawyer-turned-evangelist whose ministry was marked by deep prayer and divine healing.
- William and Catherine Booth, who gave food to the hungry, fought to free those trapped in sex trafficking, and founded the Salvation Army, now the largest charitable organization in the world.
- Billy Graham, counselor and confidant of eleven U.S. presidents, who preached God’s unconditional love and saving grace to millions.
- Fulfill God’s call on your life
- Discern the voice of God to follow His guidance
- Be led by the Spirit of God
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.10(h) x 1.70(d)|
About the Author
Born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Roberts Liardon is a leading Protestant church historian. He founded Roberts Liardon Ministries, along with Embassy Christian Center, Embassy Ministerial Association, Spirit Life Bible College, and Operation 500. He also founded the Reformers and Revivalists Historical Museum. At seventeen, Liardon published his first book, I Saw Heaven, which sold over 1.5 million copies and catapulted him into the public eye. To date, Liardon’s books, including the God’s Generals series, have sold over 15 million copies worldwide and have been translated into more than sixty languages. Liardon’s DVD series God’s Generals became one of the bestselling Christian DVD series in history. Having ministered in over 125 countries to members of the public and to world leaders, Liardon is also recognized internationally. In addition to being an author and a church historian, he is a public speaker, a spiritual leader, and a humanitarian. Liardon continues to manage and expand his international headquarters in Sarasota, Florida, and his office in London, England.
Table of Contents
Prologue: One Hundred Years of Intercession 15
John & Charles Wesley (1703-1791 and 1707-1788) "The Head and Heart of Revival" 21
George Whitefield (1714-1770) "The Divine Dramatist" 91
Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758) "God's Intellectual" 129
Francis Asbury (1745-1816) "The Prophet of the Long Road" 173
The First Camp Meetings (1799-1801) "America's Pentecost" 209
Peter Cartwright (1785-1872) "The Pistol-toting Evangelist" 245
Charles Finney (1792-1875) "The Father of Modern Revivalism" 283
Dwight L. Moody (1837-1899) "The Greatest Layman" 335
William & Catherine Booth (1829-1912 and 1829-1890) "Through Blood and Fire" 387
Billy Graham (1918- ) "Evangelist to the World" 447
Further Readings 487
Photographic Credits for Portraits 489
About the Author 491