They called him the “Teflon Don.” But in his short reign as the head of the Gambino crime family, John Gotti wracked up a lifetime of charges from gambling, extortion, and tax evasion to racketeering, conspiracy, and five convictions of murder. He didn’t do it alone. Surrounding himself with a rogues gallery of contract killers, fixers, and enforcers, he built one of the richest, most powerful crime empires in modern history. Who were these men? Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Anthony M. DeStefano takes you inside Gotti’s inner circle to reveal the dark hearts and violent deeds of the most remorseless and cold-blooded characters in organized crime. Men so vicious even the other Mafia families were terrified of them. Meet Gotti’s Boys . . .
* Charles Carneglia: the ruthless junkyard dog who allegedly disposed of bodies for the mob—by dissolving them in acid then displaying their jewels.
* Gene Gotti: the younger Gotti brother who ran a multimillion-dollar drug smuggling ring—enraging his bosses in the Gambino family.
* Angelo “Quack-Quack” Ruggiero: the loose-lipped contract killer who was wire-tapped by the FBI—and dared to insult Gotti behind his back.
* Tony “Roach” Rampino: the hardcore stoner who looked like a cockroach—and used his gangly arms and horror-mask face to frighten his enemies.
* “Sammy the Bull” Gravano: the Gambino underboss who helped John Gotti execute Gambino mob boss Paul Castellano—then sang like a canary to take Gotti down.
Rounding out this nefarious group were the likes of Frank DeCicco, Vincent Artuso, and Joe “The German” Watts, a man who wasn’t a Mafiosi but had all of the power and prestige of one in John Gotti’s slaughterhouse crew. Gotti’s Boys is a killer line-up of the crime-hardened mob soldiers who killed at their ruthless leader’s merciless bidding—brought to vivid life by the prize-winning chronicler of the American mob.
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||2 MB|
About the Author
Table of Contents
1 "Any Survivors?" 13
2 The Fulton-Rockaway Crowd 22
3 "Never Mention Drugs" 31
4 "Angelo, Keep Your Mouth Shut" 41
5 "Take Care of Him, Nino" 55
6 "I Could Give You Information" 67
7 "You Are Pissing Some Big People Off" 76
8 The Junk Crowd 88
9 "I Ain't Givin' Them Tapes Up" 98
10 "I'm Going to Blow This Motherfucker Away" 108
11 "Fuckin' John's Crazy" 115
12 "He's Gone" 120
13 "Shame on Them!" 129
14 Tales of the Tapes, Part 1 150
15 Tales of the Tapes, Part 2 162
16 "Gentlemen, It's Been a Pleasure" 174
17 Deaths in Harlem 184
18 The Last Hurrah 195
19 "Number One Is In" 206
20 "Cosa Nostra Needs John Gotti" 216
21 "The Teflon Is Gone" 221