Let Your Words Take You Where You Want to Go!
The new 2011 edition of Voyages in English: Grammar and Writing is the result of decades of research and practice by experts in the field of grammar and writing. Responding to the needs of teachers and students, this new edition provides ample opportunities for practice and review to ensure mastery and improved performance on standardized tests.
Voyages in English 2011
- Enables children to master grammar through direct instruction, rigorous practice, written application, and ongoing assessment.
- Provides master and novice teachers with support and straightforward, practical lesson plans that can be presented with confidence.
- Guides children to experience, explore, and improve their writing through the in-depth study of unique writing genres, writing-skill lessons, and the implementation of the writing process.
- Provides children and teachers with opportunities to use technology as a means to learn, assess, apply new skills, and communicate outside of the school setting.
- Gives children the speaking and writing practice and tools they need to communicate with clarity, accuracy, and ease.
New 2011 Features
We’ve taken the best of the past and incorporated learning tools for today’s students and the world they live in.
- More exercises in all components offer additional opportunities for review and practice.
- Daily Maintenance offers quick, daily practice for grammar concepts previously taught to ensure mastery of skills.
- Improved assessments offer more thorough testing of topics. Grammar and writing assessments are not integrated, providing more flexibility for teachers.
- ExamView® Assessment Suite Test Generator CD allows for 25% more testing questions and flexibility in creating individualized tests.
- Integration opportunities are included in the lessons to naturally show the relationship between grammar and writing.
- Tech Tips and technology opportunities allow teachers to incorporate technology into lesson plans and homework assignments.
- Online resources provide additional support for teachers and additional practice for students.
Developed in a student-friendly manner to engage all learners, the Student Edition provides clear instruction and guided practice in the writing process, the traits of effective writing, and the structure and mechanics of language.
Consistent in structure and full of helpful instructional tools, the Teacher Edition offers a straightforward, flexible plan for integrating grammar and writing. Teacher Planning Pages provide additional background information and teaching tips for ease in lesson planning.
Additional exercises connected to the textbook offer ample review and practice opportunities in grammar and writing skills.
Effective assessment enables teachers to record progress, differentiate instruction, and challenge students accordingly. A variety of assessments are included.
The ExamView® Assessment Suite Test Generator provides an adaptable tool to create a variety of assessments. The preformatted yet customizable assessments correspond with the Assessment Book and provide an additional 25% new test items for each assessment.
- Additional opportunities to build and practice grammar and writing skills
- Grammar and Mechanics Handbook for at-home use
- Interactive games for more practice
- Additional writing activities expand learning.
- Tools and support to plan and execute lessons
- Grammar Guides online resource helps you teach grammar clearly, creatively, and confidently.
- Video Tools to effectively implement grammar lessons and writing chapters into your classroom.
- Lesson Plan Charts show how to integrate the grammar and writing sections.
Two Core Parts—One Cohesive Program
Voyages in English is organized into two distinct parts: grammar and writing. The student books are divided in this way to help teachers tailor lesson plans to student needs and to differentiate instruction. The benefits of this organization include the following:
- Grammar lessons have a greater level of depth, giving students the tools needed to learn the structure of language.
- Writing instruction is relevant to students’ lives, to the literature they read and enjoy, and to the writing they experience every day.
- Integration opportunities are built into the program, allowing teachers to show the relationship between grammar and writing.
- Flexible planning becomes simple, allowing for adaptations based on students’ developmental levels.
- Long-range and thematic planning is effortless, allowing teachers to cover the required standards.
Grammar: Part I The Structure of Language
- Parts of speech
Writing: Part II Written Expression
- Elements of effective writing
- Genre characteristics
- Sentence structure
- Word and study skills
- Seven-step writing process
Voyages at a Glance
Voyages in English 2011 is a comprehensive English language arts program of the highest quality. Voyages in English aligns with and supports
- NCLB recommendations
- NCTE/IRA Standards for English language arts
- State Guidelines and standards
Student Edition: Grammar
Systematic Grammar Study
- Thorough explanations and clear examples are provided for every grammar topic.
- Ample practice ensures skill mastery.
- Integration Opportunity: Grammar in Action challenges students to spot the importance of grammar in real-life writing.
- Tech Tips offer suggestions for practical technology integration.
- Integration Opportunity: Apply It Now presents solid skill application to demonstrate comprehension.
- Grammar Review for every section is used as review or informal assessment.
- Grammar Challenge follows each Grammar Review to extend the learning or offer another opportunity for informal assessment.
- Sentence Diagramming helps students analyze and visualize sentence structure.
Teacher Edition: Grammar
Easy-to-Use, Flexible Format
- Daily Maintenance revisits previous grammar concepts to ensure mastery.
- Warm-Ups introduce grammar concepts in a relevant way.
- Easy four-step teaching approach is implemented in every lesson: Teach, Practice, Apply, Assess.
- Diagram It! highlights sentence-diagramming opportunities.
- Writing Connections help teachers transition easily between the writing and grammar sections.
Student Edition: Writing
Comprehensive Writing Practice
- Integration Opportunity: Link demonstrates a writing concept or skill within the context of real-life writing or literary works.
- Easy-to-follow, practical explanations and examples make writing relevant and engaging.
- Integration Opportunity: Grammar in Action offers grammar application that happens naturally within the context of writing.
- Step-by-step practice is led by a model student.
- Complete coverage of writing skills and the writing process improves standardized test-taking success.
- Traits of effective writing are integrated in natural, relevant ways.
Teacher Edition: Writing
Consistent Instructional Steps
- Read, Listen, Speak offers opportunities for small-group discussion.
- Grammar Connections allow seamless integration between writing and grammar.
- Teaching options help teachers meet the needs of all students: Reteach, Multiple Intelligences, and English-Language Learners
- For Tomorrow provides practical writing assignments for homework or independent classwork.
Teacher Planning Pages
Background and Support
- Grammar essentials provide all the background you need to teach grammar.
- Common Errors advise how to correct frequent mistakes.
- Grammar Expert answers questions about grammar.
- Diagramming Basics show sentence structure.
- A genre summary explains the fundamentals of each writing genre.
- Literature lists offer ideas for additional genre demonstration and exploration.
- Rubrics allow for a clear, easy grading process.
- Grammar connections provide relevant ways to incorporate grammar into the Writer’s Workshop.
Every grammar section of the Practice Book begins with Daily Maintenance opportunities to review grammar concepts. Every grammar topic receives at least one page of additional practice.
The writing portion of the Practice Book includes one page of practice for every writing lesson.
The Assessment Book provides teachers with a variety of assessments to guide instruction and differentiation. Includes assessments on
- Grammar Skills
- Summative Grammar Skills
- Writing Skills
- Writing Process
ExamView® Assessment Suite Test Generator
These preformatted yet customizable assessments correspond with the Assessment Book but provide an additional 25% new test items for each assessment. With this CD, teachers can build and administer tests and analyze results.
Each grade-level CD provides
- Alignment to key national and state standards
- The ability to save questions in Question Banks for compilation into multiple study guides and assessments
- Variety of question-selection methods and question types
- Question-scrambling capability for multiple test versions and secure test conditions
- Multiple test-delivery methods
- Grade assessments through a variety of scanning methods, track progress, and generate reports
- On-screen help
|Series:||Voyages in English 2011|
|Edition description:||Revised, Teacher Edition|
|Product dimensions:||10.88(w) x 12.25(h) x 1.50(d)|
|Age Range:||7 - 13 Years|
About the Author
Patricia Healey, IHM BA, Immaculata University MA, Temple University
20 years teaching; 20 years in administration
Anne B. McGuire, IHM BA, Immaculata University MA, Villanova University MA, Immaculata University
16 years teaching; 14 years as elementary principal; 10 years staff development
Irene Kervick, IHM BA, Immaculata University MA, Villanova University
46 years teaching
Adrienne Saybolt, IHM BA, Immaculata University Pennsylvania State Board of Education, professional certification MA, St. John’s University
40 years teaching