It's an Olympic year, and to celebrate, the latest incarnation of the world's biggest selling annual unveils its most thrilling edition yet with a dynamic new "widescreen" design, thousands of new and classic records, never-before-seen photos and an exciting selection of new topics and features.
• Crisp, new design and color-coded sections to help organize and signpost the record content.
• 100% new pictures and fully updated records
• Mythconceptions - Test yourself and test your friends with quiz questions about the record facts that you think you know well!
• Fact files - Fascinating introductory articles about the stories behind the records.
• All-new sports section - Categorized by theme and allowing you to compare superlatives across every major sport.
• Pioneers - Meet the new generation of young men and women who are pushing the boundaries of human achievement... on land, air, ice and sea.
• The average reader - Find out how much time you spend watching TV, playing videogames and sleeping, and discover how much you laugh, weep, breathe and fart!
• Connexions - What connects China and Ireland? What does the USA have in common with Zaire? Find out with our country-by-country global connections at the bottom of every page.
|Publisher:||Time Home Entertainment, Inc|
|Product dimensions:||8.80(w) x 11.70(h) x 0.90(d)|
|Age Range:||7 - 18 Years|
Read an Excerpt
Longest duration flight by helium balloons
Piloted by Jonathan Trappe (USA), the ‘Spirit Cluster’ (made up of 57 balloons) flew for 13 hr 36 min 57 sec across North Carolina, USA, from 10 to 11 April 2010. In total, Jonathan covered 175 km (109 miles) during his flight and reached a peak altitude of 2,278 m (7,474 ft).
Longest fingernails on a pair of hands (female)
The longest fingernails on a pair of hands (female) belong to Chris "The Dutchess" Walton (USA) and measure in at 309.8 cm (10 ft 2 in) for her left hand and 292.1 cm (9 ft 7 in) for her right hand, for a total of 601.9 cm (19 ft 9 in) as measured in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, on 21 February 2011.
Most dogs skipping on a rope
The most dogs skipping on the same rope is 13 and was achieved by Uchida Geinousha's 'Super Wan Wan Circus' (Japan) for Bikkuri Chojin Special #3 (Fuji TV) in Tochigi, Japan, on 27 October 2009.
Highest cable walk
The highest cable car walk is 3,303 m (10,836 ft 7 in) above sea level along a 1,600 m cable car wire which was achieved by Freddy Nock (Switzerland) who managed to walk 572 m (1,876 ft 7 in) across at Silvaplana ski resort, St. Moritz, Switzerland, on 29 January 2011.
Largest pizza commercially available
The largest pizza commercially available is 1 m 37 cm (4 ft 6 in) by 1 m 37 cm (4 ft 6 in) and is sold at the Big Mama''s and Papa''s Pizzeria, Los Angeles, California.
The largest vuvuzela is 35 metres (114 ft 9 in) long and 5.5 metres (18 ft) in diameter at the front. It was created by Hyundai Automotive South Africa and was presented and measured in Cape Town, South Africa, on 26 May 2010.
Largest pop-up book
The largest pop-up book ever made measured 4 m (13 ft 1 in) by 3 m (9 ft 10 in) when closed. The book, entitled "My Word", was completed on 6 September 2010 for a television commercial advertising Pearle Opticians (Belgium).
Most balloons popped using a pogo stick
The most balloons popped using a pogo stick in one minute is 57 and was achieved by Mark Aldridge (UK) on the set of Lo Show dei Record in Rome, Italy, on 1 April 2010.
Largest captive crocodile
Cassius, an Australian saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus), is the largest crocodile in captivity at 5.48 m (17 ft 11.75 in). The Australian saltwater crocodile is the largest and most fearsome of today's species. Specimens can live for more than 100 years, can grow to 7 m (23 ft) and weigh more than 1 tonne (1.1 ton)!
Greatest distance flown in a wing suit
The greatest distance flown in a wing suit was a horizontal, straight-line distance of 23.1 km (14.35 miles) and was achieved by Shinichi Ito (Japan), who exited a plane 9,754 m (32,000 ft) above Yolo County, California, USA, and flew for 5 min 22 sec on 28 May 2011.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Ordered for my 10 year old grandson for his birthday. Easy to read, graphics are great. Service was excellent.